If there’s one movie that embodies my childhood, it’s Clueless. Despite the fact that I didn’t remotely understand the sexual innuendos (“hymenally challenged” went right over my 7 year old head), the movie was a permanent fixture in our VCR.
Clueless taught me a lot. It taught me that Alaia is, like, a totally important designer. That El Salvador is most definitely NOT the same as Mexico. That making out with your step-brother is totally chill. And that driving on the freeway was probably the scariest thing I’d ever do.
But more than all of that, Clueless has become an icon in the recent resurgence of 90’s fashion. From streetstyle trends to Wildfox’s We’re the Kids in America lookbook (is this a Noxema commercial or what?!), more and more trendsetters are looking like they just got a Cher and Dion-style makeover.
Among the most-loved trends hailing from this 1995 cult film:
- Skater dresses: BornToBotherYou rocks a dress reminiscent of that burgundy number Amber stole from Cher’s laundry and donned at the Valley party.
- Crop Tops: Who can forget the iconic makeover scene where Cher and Dion cut off the bottom half of Tai’s oxford to show the ol’ upper midriff?
- Overalls: Though, admittedly, Tai normally looked like she could be a farmer in those clothes, I’ll always remember her rocking overalls at that concert (her first mistake) where she fell all the way down the stairs on her butt.
- Matching sets: Cher and Dion were friends because they both knew what it’s like for people to be jealous of them. So, appropriately, they rocked matching paid sets in the first scene of the film.
- High socks: Probably the most pervasive trend of the movie, these over the knee socks are equal parts girly and sexy, and were worn with anything from sandals, to pumps, to a P.E. uniform.
These all culminate in a sweet 90’s style that evokes nostalgia for a time when chokers were the accessory of choice, high-waisted denim was a no-brainer, and mesh was appropriate for so much more than watching the galleria. The only fashion faux pas I can recollect from the film? Skinning a collie to make your backpack. But that’s neither here nor there.
My absolute favorite outfit from the movie was (unsurprisingly) Cher’s, and taught me everything I’ll ever need to know about layering. A cropped sweater vest over a chiffon duster, diamond print miniskirt and knee high socks – channeled perfectly by Krly. In addition to the art of layering, it also taught me that I’d need more than my “most capable looking outfit” to score myself a driver’s license.
Am I missing any iconic 90’s styles? What was your favorite look from the film – Dion channeling Dr. Suess? Cher’s slinky Calvin Klein “underwear” dress? Tell me in the comments!