Our favorite proportion for the warmer weather approaching is the crop top. After throwing the thicker layers into the back of our closets, we’re feeling the midriff as the spotlight zone for skin-baring this Summer.
Types of Crop Tops
- The T-Shirt: The introductory short-sleeve t-shirt is the most basic of crop tops. Fitted and casual, they work in most contexts. Cut up an old T for a quick DIY crop top.
- The Tank Top: A summery casual version that can work for athletic-retro vibes.
- The Sports Bra: One of the easiest ways to get into the cropped silhouette, these are readily available. It’s a two-in-one and is a thicker alternative to a tank top.
- The Collared Crop: A version of the button up shirt with an abbreviated hemline.
- The Turtleneck: Whether sleeveless or long sleeve, the high neck can pair well with this shorter style.
- With the High-Waist Skirt or Trouser: A sliver of skin or a peak of rib was the most popular proportion at the Spring/Summer 2013 shows. At Balenciaga and Miu Miu, boxy cropped shirts were paired with body hugging skirts or pants.
- Underneath a Jacket: A peak of skin through an open jacket can add lightness to the bulk during the Summer.
- Layering it Up: In case you’re not feeling the breeze on your midriff, you could pair up a crop top with another shirt or dress underneath for a play on lengths.
- The latest round of shows from Resort 2014 is full of bralettes and bathing suits, check out Dior for some new cropped styles. See the show.
- J.W. Anderson’s collaboration with Versus Versace brought out some slashed up knits in shorter lengths for guys and girls. See the show.
- W Magazine did an editorial photographed by Craig McDean and styled by Edward Enninful on the midriffs of Spring 2013 called “Ab Fab.” See the editorial.
- Alasdair McLellan photographed model Athena Wilson in the crisp white styles from SS13, with a couple cropped looks. Styled by Jane How. See the editorial
- “Spring Proportions” stars Iselin Steiro in an editorial that layers up the crop top with turtlenecks and voluminous jackets. Photographed by Daniel Jackson for Vogue China. See the editorial
Chictopia Style Gallery
Check out these great examples of crop tops from Chictopians:
→ DISTRICTOFCHIC Business basics dress up a casual cropped t-shirt.
→ DENTELLFLEURS With jeans, this casual look looks super comfortable.
→ SHEVAHH A 90s-revival look paired with leather accessories.
How are you wearing the crop top this Summer? Let us know in the comments.
By Iris & Daniel