Wearing all black is a fashion statement all its own. It’s the non-color in fashion that never goes out of style, is flattering for all skin tones and body types, and has the intimidating/I-don’t-care-what-you-think factor.
For those of you who don’t plan on wearing pastel this spring, I’m going to write a beginner’s guide to wearing all black.
Things you’ll need:
1. A pair of black stilettos or booties — chunky shoes are great, but what you should be pulling out of your closet this season are some black pointy-toed stilettos. Mine’s are resale Manolo Blahniks from Shop Hers. Black booties are also a wardrobe staple and you won’t get tired of them.
2. A slick pair of black skinny jeans — my favorite jeans of the season have the zipper split detail or knee exposed, like on Agogofashion. If you’re looking for a comfy pair of cotton pants, a pair of BDGs will last you a long time.
3. A black maxi dress — I have a T by Alexander Wang maxi dress that is an ultimate favorite in my closet. I would recommend every girl get a maxi dress whether it’s bodycon or has a loose-fit. They are great for layering and give outfits such sophistication.
4. A black hat — preferably a fedora, otherwise you can also wear a simple black beanie.
Some basic tips:
- Can I wear black and brown together? — I’m not sure where people got off thinking that wearing black and brown together is some huge faux pas. Wearing both can look super chic: a pair of tan knee high boots like these on The Vagabond would look amazing with all black on top. It’s just a matter of putting together the right brown pieces and mixing textures: a taupe scarf or skirt with a black fedora and blazer or a tan suede skirt.
- How do I avoid looking…dreary? — The last thing you want is to have an outfit that feels blah. If you think your all black outfit is getting a little funeral-esque, interesting prints, cuts and leather will dispel the dark mood. Does your sweater have a cool print on it? Or a sexy cut out in the back? Add at least one interesting detail to spice up your outfit.
- Layer! — Add some volume to your outfit by layering your layers. Black is slimming, so wearing all black lets you layer without feeling or looking like a puffball.