I remember coming across a photo of Alexa Chung wearing a schoolgirl-looking dress in, of course, a very chic and tomboyish way. Pinafore dresses are back to cool with a girly yet “plays with the boys” twist, and I’m absolutely obsessed with them— they can be worn over any kind of blouse, with tights, and some cute shoes and your outfit is complete.
Here are four reasons why you should get a pinafore dress:
1. They’re comfortable. You know how overalls were comfortable to run around in when you were a kid? Wearing a pinafore dress is a girlier version of that.
2. For those of you who are a little retro, they’re like a trip back in time either to your school days or to another decade. Check out Whitney’s article on six ways to wear it. She wears them in so many ways— 90’s grunge? Check. 60’s mod? Check. 50’s housewife? Check.
3. They’re super versatile. Anyone of any style can make it work for them: whether you’re super feminine or have a masculine aesthetic. You can pretty much wear anything underneath or over a pinafore and make it very you.
4. If you’re more of a body-con type of gal, a pinafore is probably not for you. These dresses are modest, which are particularly hard to find in a sea of sexy high cut skirts, tight dresses with big cut outs, and minis. Go against the norm with a pinafore that’s not typically sexy but still very stylish.
5. Even though pinafore dresses have been around for decades, there are still ways to make it new and cool. It’s really just a classic dress that gets renewed and grows up as you do.