If you’re a woman and have left your house, you know what it can be like: men, gross, harassing, lewd comments, eyeball rape… the whole shebang of NOT-COOL-CREEPY-OLD-MAN. What will really scare off people when you just want to be left alone? Let me break it down for you: dressing scary.
Last week, I walked to a computer store in SoMa wearing this with a coat on top. Completely harmless and modest right? I ended up getting harassed by the creepiest guys at least five times in the measly 30 minutes I was out. So when I say dress scary, I mean batshit crazy. Imagine this scale: the more batshit crazy you look, the scarier you seem and the lower you are on the scale of getting unwanted attention and contact. It’s kind of like going so far off the hot crazy scale that you are completely unattractive to the opposite sex.
Let’s say you don’t want to dress like you came out of a bloody Zombie flick (some freak might even be into that)— what can you wear to scare? Some ideas for you:
1. Wear a big ass coat that’s furry, feathery, or printed.
2. Chunky boots. You know how some men are like “Why do you wear wedges? You should wear heels!” and all that crap about chunky shoes being weird? This works in our favor and who doesn’t love thick platforms anyway? The chunkier and clunkier the better.
3. If you’re wearing bright colors, that’ll just make you a bigger target. Wear dark colors so you don’t stand out amongst the crowd. Simple hunting logic.
4. A jumpsuit. Overalls can work too. Any item of clothing that seems difficult to remove and seemingly “socially unfeminine and inappropriate” to scare them off.
5. A mean mug. This is your best bet. If you look like you’ll bring hell to whomever tries to disturb you, they will likely avoid you. Take some inspiration from Jenna Marbles’ ‘How to avoid talking to people you don’t want to talk to’ video tutorial.
Note: these tips can only take you so far. Be safe!