There’s no summer without sun, there’s no fall without leather. That is an unquestionable truth. Leather may have made the leap into the S/S collections a few seasons ago, but there is no doubt that when it comes to A/W, it is definitely the king.
When it comes to leather, just when you think you might have seen it all, along comes a new season. For Fall 2012, leather was a constant in almost every collection presented on the runway: Valentino made it ladylike, Thakoon injected some color in it, Tibi went all shiny disco ball and tired of wool, and Marni made coats out of leather. Craving to get some leather goodies this fall? Here’s all you need to know!
It may sound dangerous, it may sound bolder than bold, but layering leather over more leather is one of the strongest trends this season. No, we are not asking you to look like you just got lost from the Sons of Anarchy set. No, we are not asking you to raid the Undertaker’s closet. No, we don’t want you channeling the Village People’s leather dude. And no, there is not a handbook on how to pull it off and how to avoid that Matrix Reloaded look. There may not be a formula, but here are some tips that can help us along the way:
- Go for solid garments. Textures, embroidery and embellishments may book you a ticket to the land of tacky, where Snooki is Queen.
- It’s not mandatory to go all black, you can color-block. Try putting together shades with a similar intensity: rusty with rusty, bright with bright, neutral with neutral and so on.
- Go for feminine or simple shoes. Thinking of adding a chunky boot? That’s Sons of Anarchy all the way.
→ THE LOOK: We put together a jersey top with a leather peplum and a pair of skintight leggings. To add more drama, a statement pendant and a pair of black pumps with multiple straps.
The Summer nostalgia is always around, no more leg flashing, no more lightweight fabrics and welcome heavy garments. What better way to cheer us up on those gray and gloomy days, than with a pop of color. We all know that a good, black biker jacket is an all-time wardrobe basic and that those black liquid leggings are a Fall must-wear. But we also know that in Fashion, you gotta think outside the box. And there, outside that box, is where we will find some fabulous and show-stopping colored leather. From bright pink leggings and bottle green jackets to royal blue shift dresses, leather just got a bright and fun makeover this Fall.
- You can choose to color-block (it doesn’t get better than a pair of bright blue pants and a pink blazer) or you can go for mute shades to make your leather item pop.
- Colorful, leather accessories can be the perfect twist for your outfit.
- A pair of Oxblood skinny pants or a bright biker jacket are staples for your closet this Fall.
- Don’t be afraid of adding fun details. Leather can be strong, but sometimes, just the right amount of leopard can make the whole thing work.
→ THE LOOK: We paired up the Oxblood leather pants with a Western embroidered shirt (another big trend this season thanks to the always chic, Isabel Marant). It’s an interesting contrast and the leopard slingbacks just make the ensemble more fun.
Forget about the bodycon leather skirt that has been hanging inside your closet for years now. New shapes, lengths and styles are in the house! The pleated one was already a bestseller last Fall (raise your hand if you are the proud owner of the Zara version) and this season, it’s making a comeback. The circle skirt is both edgy and feminine at the same time and pencil ones just scream sexy. The colored and metallic versions are fun twists to classic black. And last but not least, a leather mini is always welcome!
- With leather skirts, possibilities are endless. You can go for a button-down and a blazer for a clean and dressy look. You can pair them up with a t-shirt and Converse for a casual ensemble.
- A match made in trend heaven: mini skirts and graphic sweatshirts. Sweatshirts are the new black.
- For the shoes, add some edge with a pair of booties.
→ THE LOOK: A simple look with some special details thanks to the studs from the skirt and the graphic print on the sweatshirt .
- Leather coats: Whether is long and black, fire red and glossy, a trench or coat with leather accents, you are going to want one of this babies hanging inside your closet.
- Quilted leather: Balmain mastered the art of quilting for Fall 2012 and while a lucky few can afford their $3,000 skirts, we are just as happy with Zara’s version of them.
- Combined garments: A sweatshirt with leather sleeves? A skirt with leather panels? Garments with a texture combo are a must-have this season.
- Leather trousers: From Cavalli’s leggings to Theyskens’ Theory’s slouchy pants, the Fall 2012 runways were flooded with leather bottoms.
- Metallic leather: Shiny leather? Need we say more?
Which leather trend is your favorite this Fall? We love and want them all!
Illustrations: Ana Sofia