We would love to consider this Style Icon one of Hong Kong’s blogging sweethearts as her crisp, clear photos portray a feminine figure who knows how to incorporate the latest trends into her pastel color palette. Known for her playful, girlish outfits, this pastel-loving girl is really just as sweet as she looks. With almost 5,000 fans here on Chictopia, it’s no wonder that so many flock to her blog Mellow Mayoness for fashion inspiration. Check out our interview and this girl’s perspective on fashion might just change yours.
How did you get into fashion, and what do you like about it?
Mayo: I have always been interested in fashion and all things beautiful since I was a little girl. About three years ago, great sites like Chictopia started emerging which provide an amazing platform for fashion lovers from all over the world to showcase their styles. I just felt so great to be part of that community! Since then, I took pics of my outfits regularly to share with other fashion lovers. It just felt natural for me to also have a fashion blog so more detailed shots of my outfits can be placed there, together with some random thoughts and sharings.
Fashion is an instant way of communication and expressing yourself. I love how it’s a common language that can be understood by people from different cultures. It’s what makes life beautiful and interesting and fashion styling is very mentally stimulating. Ultimately I think fashion is about pursuing beauty an essential goodness in our life.
Couldn’t have said it better! So, how does living in Hong Kong influence your style?
I feel very lucky that I grew up and live in Hong Kong, which is a melting pot of different cultures with a peculiar historical background. My style is influenced by both Eastern and Western cultures, such as Japanese and Korean trends. Hong Kong is also a cosmopolitan and vibrant city, and I think it inspires my love for bright and bold colors.
The city is really beautiful, and I agree how the city is very vibrant. Can you go into more detail to describe the Hong Kong streetstyle?
It’s hard to generalize Hong Kong streetstyle, but I think there are two main styles that have been trending recently: the romantic, girly style and the edgy, effortless style. I would say the fashion scene on the street is quite diverse with people displaying their different personalities through fashion.
What top 3 places would you recommend to a Chictopian who’s travelling to Hong Kong for the first time?
1. For shopping, I suggest Causeway Bay, where you can find literally everything, from major luxuriant brands to select shops selling vintage and indie labels. There are even kiosks selling bras, cute IPhone cases and cheap accessories (check Jardine Crescent out!). You can also find loads of restaurants serving different cuisines, but do try Tsui Wah Restaurant which serves the best local Hong Kong food!
2. Go to the peak for a panoramic view of the night skyline of Hong Kong. I’m sure you’ll be convinced that we are called the “Pearl of the Orient” for a reason ;).
3. After experiencing the city life of Hong Kong, you may wanna have a taste of our rural charm to balance out so please take a ferry and visit our Lantau Island. There you can take the Ngon Ping 360 cable car and see the big Buddha. If time allows, you can also take a short trip to Tai O which is just 30 minutes away from Lantau. It’s a serene fishing village and its hundred year old police station has just been turned into a luxury hotel with some historical marks like bullet dents remaining intact.
Your outfits are always complemented perfectly! Which is your favourite outfit on Chictopia and why?
Wow..thanks blushing. I really like this look, White Knight, which shows a different side of me with the denim jacket and the leggings, two items that are rarely seen on me. I love how it stands out from all my other looks but still has the essence of me with the rose hair clips and the pearls on the jacket.
Although you’re a fashion blogger, we couldn’t help but notice how great your skin looks! Can you give us some beauty tips on maintaining good skincare?
I pay a lot of efforts in caring for my skin but you know, I do photoshop my dark circles out sometimes :P. Cleansing is really important, I use Bobbi Brown cleansing oil twice every night to make sure no makeup is left on my face. I highly recommend Sislley skincare. After using their line reducer 2 years ago my laugh lines have really been reduced! Eat more kiwis too!
In fashion, there are practically no rules, but what’s the one fashion rule you would abide to?
Thou shall not look like a whore.
Chictopia showcases fashion, but did you know we also sell fashion? What are you top 7 items from Chictopia Shop?
So difficult to pick just 7 with, [there are] so many cool items!!!!
1. Black Square Suitcase (Choies, $45)
2. Beach Rivets Bra (Choies, $32)
3. Bicycle Shaped Sunglasses (Giant Vintage, $12)
4. Silver Skeleton Bone Hand Bracelet with Ring Detail (Chicnova, $24)
5. Mini Skull Bracelet (Nectar Clothing, $9)
6. OMEN EYE Electra Short (OMEN EYE, $69)
7. Miki Straw Clutch (Lorraine Tyne, $18)
Great choices! What staples do you think every Chictopian should have in their wardrobe?
We’re not surprised that Chictopian Style Icons become buddy-buddy after a while. Who’s your buddy in Chictopia?
I like Yuki of Yukilo a lot and have met her twice in Hong Kong. She is a fashion reporter of a major magazine here and a very sweet girl. I would really like to meet Oliva Lopez of LusttforLife someday. I have been admiring her for so long! She’s a true stylist who brings magic to every outfit. She always inspires me with her versatile styles!
Last question: cats or dogs?
I have 2 cats now so what do you think B-)?? I love dogs too but let’s face it, cats are the chicer!
Well said! Do you have any questions for Mayo? Let us know in the comments below, and she may just answer them below!
Remember, EverybodyIsUgly’s on Twitter! We try our best to tweet back! (@EverybodyIsUgly)
All photos provided by Mayo_Wo