It’s officially over— no more easy breezy dresses, no more life in bikini bottoms, no more summer until further notice (9 long, long months). As trees begin to get naked, we start to feel that need to cover up. We are in the middle of the summer to fall transition: sheets for blankets, beach towels for shawls, flip flops for slippers, shaving for stockings and so on. Saying goodbye to summer is not all about mourning and longing. In fact, we get to welcome a new season: Fabulous Fall. We get to embrace new trends, adopt new colors and above all, re-stock our closets!
Months ago, the trend zone began to buzz with new shades (hello oxblood, white, and royal blue), new styles (hello utilitarian, baroque, and futuristic), new textures and prints (hello graphics, leather, brocade) and new garment favorites (hello sweatshirts and jumpsuits). But this time we are going to tackle a controversial trend, a constant when it comes to autumn and winter collections: fur.
Fur has been in the hot seat for a while now. There’s been endless quarrel between those who fight against animal cruelty and those who defend their right to wear their hair of choice. Since fashion has given us the choice to wear faux fur that not only looks but feels like the real thing, and since we don’t want to raise PETA hell or we have respect and love for all the living creatures in the world, we are going to celebrate and thank mankind for the gift of faux fur.
This season, as every fall/winter season, the fur menu was vast and diverse: Dries Van Noten, Giorgio Armani and Blumarine colored it, Cavalli, Wu and Pugh made skirts out of it, Pucci and Fendi supersized it, Nina Ricci and Oscar de la Renta accessorized with it. In the end, there’s enough choice for us to take what we like and discard what we don’t. Here are the five faux fur, must-have items for fall:
- The leopard jacket: whether it’s cropped, fitted or oversize, you can find them in almost any store. From DKNY and Isabel Marant to ASOS and River Island, you’ll be glad you bought it.
- The Mongolian gilet: Nothing looks better with that pair of skinny jeans and some booties than one of this babies. River Island and Topshop have great options.
- The furry bag: Shoulder bag? Trunk? Messenger? Leopard? Zara has them all!
- The combined garment: whether it’s leather and sheepskin on a bomber, or rabbit (faux) and knit on a cardigan, this is a major trend for Fall.
- The colorful collar: collars are among the hottest accessories right now, so are stoles. Add a punch or color to give your outfits an original twist.
When it comes to styling fur this Fall, we have prepared three different ensembles. Get ready to go fur it!
If Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana have taught us one thing in life, it has to be that flowers and leopard print are a match made in heaven (sexy heaven). A dress over a graphic jumper and an animal print jacket? Boom, you’ve got three hot trends in one outfit.
1. Leopard Jacket, DKNY
2. Floral jumper, Dolce & Gabbana
3. Black dress, MAJE
4. Black wedges, ZARA
5. Pelican bag, ALEXANDER WANG
6. Black bangle, KATE SPADE
7. Leopard bangle, J. CREW
8. Ring pack, ASOS
9. Infusion prune nail polish, LANCOME
Who said pastels were only for spring? And who said you can’t pull off a powdery combo for fall? We did it and we liked it! You’ll need your mongolian gilet, a pastel pair of skinnies, neutral pumps and another one of the hottest trends of the moments, the dressy sweatshirt.
1. Mongolian gilet, RIVER ISLAND
2. Tiger sweatshirt, ZARA
3. Mint skinny jeans, ZARA
4. Salmon pump, GIANVITO ROSSI
5. Metallic satchel, J. CREW
6. Pink beaded bracelet, NELLY.COM
7. Spike silver bracelet, ASOS
8. Rhinestone bracelet, J. CREW
9. Cat ring, MODCLOTH
10. Rose Astrait nail polish, YSL
Want a laid-back look with a pinch of edgy? A leather and fur bomber, a sweatshirt, a pair of leather shorts (leather on leather is flaming hot right now) and the famous high-tops (Isabel Marant is to blame for this one) is all you need.
1. Combined bomber, ZARA
2. Grey sweatshirt, ZARA
3. Leather shorts, ROMWE
4. High-top sneakers, ZARA
5. Pashli bag, 3.1 PHILLIP LIM
6. Ring trio, TOPSHOP
7. Ace pendant, LAURA LEE
8. Velvet Voyage nail polish, ESSIE
Pastel, wild or edgy? What’s your favorite style? And remember, tights are still optional (but not for long).
Illustrations by Ana Sofia