In the thick of my frugal college days, I was something of a thrift store queen, finding more awesome gear than could ever fit me or than I could ever need. In need of some cash, I set up a vintage store on eBay and listed my finds, and one of my first sales was a leather pencil skirt. I’ll never forget how after the bidder received it, he sent me a message thanking me, telling me he couldn’t wait for his wife to model it for him. There was an obligatory winking smiley face that came thereafter, and it seemed to resemble the face of a creepy man more than ever before. The acronym TMI comes to mind.
But perhaps I was just a little too fashion forward, and most people weren’t embracing the leather skirt as a fashionable item yet, rather as part of the wardrobe arsenal of a rock n’ roll diva, or a kinky wife. Thank god, times have changed. In the upcoming season and even in past fall seasons, leather has taken on a new spin and has been worn in ways other than the usual bomber. Does it sounds intimidating? It isn’t.
Today, we’re showing you five Chictopians who make the leather skirt look chic, in five completely different ways. No matter who you are, we’re certain you can rock it too!
1. The Uber Girl. Extremely girly looks, when overdone, can look more costume-y than fashion forward. It’s always ideal to mix in another element to tone down the ultra feminine appearance of this look. A leather skirt, then, is a natural additional element for this look. The texture and badass vibe of a leather skirt makes for just the juxtaposition it needs.
2. The Sports Chic Girl. The sports chic trend is still going strong, and a sporty top loves a leather bottom. The leather material doesn’t clash – in fact, its natural wet look does have an element of sporty to it, so long as you don’t actually try to do pushups in it. But then this little skirt mixes things up at the same time, giving an element of Alexander Wang-esque street cred to the look without even breaking a sweat.
3. The Chic Girl. Worn with some opaque tights, colorful heels, and trendy top, the leather skirt acts like any other black skirt but with just a tiny added element of surprise. The opaque tights and colored heels take some attention off of the skirt by commanding their own.
4. The Working Girl. I realize you may have qualms with the idea of wearing a leather skirt to work, but try and forget that eBay story above and it won’t seem quite so off the wall. The key is to pair it with normal professional attire, and just make sure it isn’t too short. A pair of opaque tights will help give your legs some coverage, or simply go for a midi skirt to stay comfortable and work appropriate. Another good trick to play down the leather skirt is to keep your top untucked and allow it to fall over the skirt.
5. The Simple Chic Girl. Let the skirt do all the talking and pair it with a simple blouse and perhaps a bold necklace. To keep it from going too grungy, girly, or what have you, nude accessories are a sure shot way to keep the look for becoming overwhelmingly anything. Rounded shades as opposed to angular ones keep the look friendly and not unnecessarily intimidating.
Would you wear a leather skirt? What are your styling tips?