It may seem like a lifetime ago, but believe it or not, fall is just about here and suddenly all the runway shows we watched so attentively in the spring are more relevant than ever. Sadly, I think we can all admit that we’re starting to shuffle our summer dresses to the pits of our closets, but fortunately there’s is a silver lining to the forthcoming clouds— a whole new wardrobe to fantasize about. Before you hit the mall searching for this season’s duds, arm yourself with this end-all list of the top ten Fall 2012 trends. Trust, you’ll be tempted but much more without this trusty recap.
1. Paneling. A trend that hit the ground running, babes, bombshells, and bloggers alike have embraced the paneling trend. Paneled garments feature side panels in a contrasting color, often white, which create a slimming effect. The look is sporty, sophisticated, and sexy.
—> See 3.1 Phillip Lim
2. Architectural sleeves. We’ve been enjoy architectural torsos thanks to the heavily loved peplum trend, and while it isn’t going anywhere right away, we’re excited to inject a dose of art into our sleeves, too. Designers sent looks down the runway featuring exaggerated shoulders and arms for added interest. If you’re not sure if you can rock it, simply look to this nearly iconic image of Yasmin Sewell. Told you so.
—> See Alexander Wang
3. Embellishments. Gone are the demure days, because tops, skirts, and pants we’re all doused with bead work and other extreme embellishments during last fashion week. The look isn’t for the faint of heart or the meek of dress, but it’s certainly more interesting than a little black anything.
—> See Prada
4. Metallics. All girls love all that glitters. Most of us are naturally attracted to glitz and glamour, and designers heard us loud and clear this season. Ranging from sparkly colored suits to single tones of silver or gold, this season, prepare to shimmer.
—> See Rebecca Minkoff
5. Burgundy. Summer is to pastels as fall is to jewel tones. The tone on top for the season? A luscious deep burgundy. Runners up include emerald, navy, cobalt and mustard.
—> See Jason Wu
6. Equestrian. Returning after just a few years off the map, fall 2012 creations saw much horse play, featuring lots of leather, clean tailoring, riding boots, and those infamous buckles.
—> See Givenchy
7. Colored leather. Leather is practically timeless. If you don’t own the perfect leather jacket, you don’t own anything. In a spin off of the original, this season brings us leather tops and bottoms in addition to outerwear…and even better, many of them come in exciting and enticing colors.
—> See Cynthia Rowley
8. All White. The monochrome trend took effect almost as soon as show-goers left the room. The overwhelming popular color on the runways and on the streets thereafter? A white on white, perfect to brighten any foggy fall day. Labor Day what? Labor Day, whatever.
—> See Derek Lam
9. Graphic sweaters. What would fashion be if we took it too seriously, all the time? Well, I could tell you what it wouldn’t be – fun! The graphic sweater trend is a playful take on a practical piece. If you don’t get how to make it cool, just look to street style maven Preetma Singh.
—> See Marc by Marc Jacobs
10. Thigh high slits. The never-waning maxi skirt had a very sexy upgrade during last fashion week. These to-the-ground skirts got leggy thanks to a single (or sometime dual) slit going as high as the thigh.
—> See Theyskens Theory
Images via Style.com