While watching Wayne’s World it’s hard not to be inspired by the crazy amount of rocker style in this movie set and filmed in 1992. From Garth’s grunge-perfect plaid shirts, graphic tees, torn jeans and geek glasses to Wayne’s minimal black tee, black Wayne’s World cap and destroyed denim, the guy’s style alone is worthy of inspiration for our wardrobes. But it’s a certain gal’s style that I was most blown away by.
Over and over again I drooled over each and every outfit sported by Wayne’s girlfriend, Cassandra (Tia Carrere). As the lead singer of rock band Crucial Taunt, Cassandra’s style works in tandem with her rocker lifestyle: lace bandage dresses, tight high rise jeans, zipper-slathered mini dresses and spandex galore. She could make even the most modest of girls want to feign rock goddess and wear tight, lacy getups. The best part about her outfits is her choice of accessories that aren’t overdone but add ample flair to each look; Southwestern belts, bold gold hoops and spage age dangle earrings all fit the bill for her style.
Going on a thrifting expedition in search of pieces in the style of Cassandra is a cinch. I’ve seen boatloads of each piece when I’ve visited thrift stores and yard sales. Here’s a checklist to get you looking like Cassandra in no time:
- Fitted Lace: bustier dresses and crop tops, mini skirts and sheer bell-sleeved tops with collars would all work into Cassandra-worthy ensembles. Form-fitting is key here. Note: Lace bustier tops are a must-have for any lady’s wardrobe. Very versatile and super flattering.
- Matchy Matchy: Look for fitted scoop-neck tees (long or short-sleeved) in all colors and then find high rise jeans to match. I love Cassandra’s pink-on-pink denim-and-tee ensemble and her cream denim fitted vest (open with a scoop tank) with cream high rise shorts. There’s something so chic about monochromatic looks.
- Fly Girl Hoops: Remember my thrift inspiration post on the 90’s Fly Girl? The larger the diameter, the better. Chunky hoops with intricate details would work too. If you can see them from across the store, those are the ones for you!
- Geometric Dangle Earrings: Going along with the same bold trend as the hoops, look for large statement earrings that have alien-worthy flair and uber length.
- Sporty Spandex: Lace and spandex together? Cassandra would give it a thumbs up. Her all-blue combo of a lace bell-sleeved top with spandex two-tone leggings works surprising well, and adding heels keeps it chic.
- Bright Red Dresses: Whether it’s a zippered business-inspired mini dress or a lace body con mini, go red and stand out times 2!
- Go Native: Belts and bracelets a la Native Americans add a necessary earthy element to these vivid looks. Think tooled silver, leather links and turquoise.
- Opera Gloves: Lacy and fingerless, when these long gloves are paired with a dress or top of the same color, it can appear as an extension of the garment- almost like sleeves.
Mix and match all of these pieces, and you’ll have “Foxy Lady” written all over you. Party on, Chictopians.
By Whitney S. Williams
Film Stills: Paramount Pictures