Looking to revamp your look? Spring’s in full swing which means you’re in luck – a slew of new trends have hit stores, but before you hit the mall, be sure to focus your efforts. There are 12 must-have pieces we’re dying for this season, and they all scream style evolution. Consider this your cliff notes for Spring 2012.
1. Pastel Jeans. On everyone’s to-buy list this season, the pastel jean updates an old classic (who doesn’t love denim?) with colors that mimic the beautiful, blossoming world around us. Shed your winter blues while you shed your layers – find a pair in a fit that’s familiar to you in a pastel tone that appeals to you. The very familiar garment in a new but muted color updates your look without overwhelming it. → See look here
2. Bold Florals. Telling you about florals for spring conjures up memories of Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada. "Florals? For Spring? Groundbreaking.” Before you toss this trend to the side, realize we’re not talking your-grandma’s-sheets florals. We’re talking big, bold florals in unexpected colors – the kind that anything but a wallflower would wear. Revamp your spring getup with a shoe in a bold floral print or a statement making dress. Less dainty daisies, more rockin’ roses. You get it? → See look here
4. Sleeveless Jackets. A piece with infinite layer capabilities, a sleeveless jacket may just wiggle its way into your closet this spring – and stay there through the rest of the year. Rightfully so! A transitional sleeveless jacket can be worn over a shirt-dress or a plain tank, and the look alters itself completely with a simple cinched waist caused by any belt in your collection. Come fall, this piece is also wonderful to layer over your blazers or leather jacket for a faux two-toned jacket look. → See look here and here
5. Statement Earrings. Ushered in by the likes of Dannijo and Prada, don’t call these statement makers doorknockers! While they aren’t at all dainty, they’re still quite ladylike, coming in vintage-inspired designs but featuring updated colors. Dare yourself to try a pair of heavy petal floral or neon crystal embellished earrings. Dannijo and Prada may be a bit out of reach for many of us, but an Etsy search or trip to your local H&M may yield a nice alternative.
6. Cuff Bracelets. Can we call these a contender to the arm party? Chictopians have cropped up left and right proclaiming they’re all on team cuff sometimes wearing one or two, one on each arm. Ditching the piles of bracelets for a simple but heavy metal piece is an easy fix for the early morning rush. Not ready to give up the arm party? All arm candy can all co-exist. → See examples here and here
7. Circle Skirts. Boho-esque midi and maxi skirts are still here and we’re certainly not complaining, but it is nice to see a new take on a girl’s go-to. The circle skirt comes in a variety of lengths so you can still do the midi or the mini, but the cinched waistline offers a feminine and polished feel that the loose flowy skirts of last year did not. → See look here
8. Whites. You know that labor day rule? It’s archaic and silly, and we encourage you to wear white all year ‘round. That said, if there ever was a time to wear white, it’s now. Mimic the crispiness in the air with a crispy white blazer or jeans. It’ll feel great – promise! → See looks here and here
9. Pencil Skirts. Why skirt around the subject any longer? We’re seeking some structure for spring bottoms and the pencil skirt is just that. No longer reserved for the office, pencil skirts in an array of colors, prints, and hemlines are being stocked for spring right now. Try one in neon or in a metallic tone, or if you seek something more conservative, get a neutral and pair it with statement making accessories. Regardless, the cut is understated and sexy at the same time. → See looks here and here
10. Ankle Strap Shoes. Flats and heels alike are getting a sporty and sexy updated – an ankle buckle. The strap adds an accent to your feet visual interest to your stems. → See looks here and here
11. Pajamas. No, not the ones you wore literally last night, but the relaxed, pajama top and pants ensemble is a chic way to achieve the “just rolled out of bed” look. → See look here
12. Crop Tops. Showing midriff has really hit us hard this season. Prada showed beautiful bandeau tops and bra tops have been all over the runway. With festivals coming up soon, the go-to top will definitely be cropped. These tops come in a variety of lengths, so choose one that you’re most comfortable with. → See look here
So what do you think? Are you eager to try out this season’s trends? What are you most excited about wearing?