Oh, the Holidays! I don’t know about you, but this is definitely my most favorite time of the year. It’s a season of gorgeous party dresses, yummy food, cozy warm drinks, ugly sweater parties, mistletoe mischief, and the like. On the flipside, it’s a whirlwind too!
Knowing that you’ll be flitting from one party to the next… I figured you might need a few holiday makeup tips for your next soiree!
One of my preferred holiday looks—The BOLD lip. As I mentioned in my previous post, I was for the longest time a “lipstick virgin”. I couldn’t fathom wearing lipstick, especially anything that would draw attention to my uber-thin smackers. Now, after working four years at a salon/spa I’ve been thoroughly educated in the ways of “lip-wear” and proudly flaunt my skinny pout! Its due time for me to pass my knowledge on—So let’s get started!
First, you’ll need some supplies.
- Lip liner
- Lip gloss (I’m sure I don’t need to say this, but make sure these all match!)
- Small, flat-line brush
- Powder (Just whatever you normally use for your face)
Now for the directions!
1. Start with a clean, gloss-free lip.
2. Fill in the entire lip with lip liner. And yes, I said the entire lip. Lip liner will stay on longer than your actual lipstick and will help you avoid the dreaded “ring around the lip” look. (Tip: Lay your liner on the side when lining the outer rim of the lip. This technique will give you greater precision and control of the pencil.)
3. Apply your lipstick! Focus on the inner section of your lips and be sure to rub them together to distribute the color evenly.
4. With a flat-line brush, lightly tap into your powder. Chisel along your lip line to enhance definition. Don’t forget the peak of your lips too!
5. Dab a bit of lip gloss onto the center of your lip. This creates the illusion of fullness (especially for those skinny pouts)! Avoid pulling the gloss toward the outer rim of the lip, as it’ll cause the color to bleed outside of the lip line.
And…voila! You and your sassy pout are ready to rock!
My products of choice in these photos were Aura Cosmetics’ “Poppy” lip liner and “Watermelon” lip gloss, along with MAC’s “So Chaud” lipstick.