The look that used to be exclusively for your east coast ivy bound types has turned into a fashion phenomenon. Now anyone can channel this clean cut preppy style with a couple of pieces, read on to find out how.
A preppy look isn’t hard to achieve. A few affordable key pieces can be mixed together to get multiple looks.
1. A blazer: Probably the item most identified with the preppy style, a blazer can take any plain dress or shirt and make it look like it was meant to be in a country club. For daily wear a navy blazer. is the most versatile.
2. White collared shirt: Simple, clean and crisp this staple goes beyond the preppy realm. You won’t regret picking a up a white collared shirt so invest in a nicer one.
3. A Cardigan: This piece can take many forms, but for our layering and mixing purposes stick with something in a classic red like this. It can be worn under blazers or over the collared shirt to add a pop of color.
5. A classic bag: This can be many things, but it is something that isn’t trend driven. The new line of Coach Classic’s bags is the perfect of some preppy styles you can get. The sturdy satchel or a basic tote bag will do the trick. Stick with something that has a defined shape in wearable neutral colors.
6. Khaki Pants: These are like the preppy girl’s dream jean. A slim low waisted one gives a modern flair to the classic style.
7. Skirt: Don’t think school girl, that’s boring. A fun flippy pleated skirt like this to mix with your other pieces.
With these seven pieces a multitude of outfits can be made. It can be as simple as the shirt, khakis and loafers; From the skirt, blazer, cardigan, purse and flats.
Here are three preppy inspired ensembles for everyday wear:
IVY BOUND: A preppy outfit is an easy way to look put together for the school day. It’s a pretty simple mix of basics. Blue jeans are a school time staple and make a great base for this outfit, whether skinny or flared, a simple deep colored jean will look great. For the top, add a basic white tank and pair it with a red boyfriend blazer (for a pop of color). Slip on some Sperry’s (boater prep shoes that will last through everything) and a structured satchel.
OFFICE PREP: Office work wear usually tends to go towards this conservative route, but you can play around with it. Switching up your blazer with a patterned cardigan or your pumps with some high heel loafers. J.Crew is a great source for a office preppy style and inspiration. Start with their collared shirt. Over that layer a cardigan,. and make sure to roll up your shirt sleeves over your cardigan. Finish off the look with a khaki pencil skirt and the high heel loafers above.
CLASSIC EVENING: For the next look we are going to take the pleats in the preppy skirt and translate them for a more evening outfit. This pleated midi dress is elegant and chic. It would look great for a cocktail hour or dressed up for a formal event. It retains a classic preppy feel with a dressy look. Paired with a shiny clutch and killer heels you might attract some ivy-grads!
This trend has been seen everywhere, especially on Chictopia.
NOTWITHOUTINCIDENT took a unique spin on this trend, playing with a multitude of colors.
CLARADEVI epitomized casual prep with a classic white shirt and a boyfriend blazer.
PAXIEAIZA matched the piping and the skirt and made this outfit look extra preppy, it’s classic, clean and fresh.
MAYOWO does look like she is channeling peter pan with her collar, a girlier version that is.
DISTRICTOFCHIC put together a great weekend preppy outfit. The classic quilted Chanel bag is great for preppy looks if you have some money to splurge with.
Have any preppy tips to share? Tell us in the comments!
Image via Faconnable Spring 2011 Campaign