Think of how amazing it would be to pack everything for your summer getaway into one suitcase. You would have everything you would need to lounge by the pool or dance the night away all in one place. Seems daunting, right? But if you follow tips from fellow Chictopians, and our must have list for vacation, this goal will seem a lot more attainable.
THE TOP 15
Mix and match these pieces for the perfect summery outfits
1) A SWIMSUIT: What would a summer getaway be without one? If you are thinking of getting active with some surfing and wakeboarding stick to a one piece if not cute one piece will work.
2) A BLACK MAXI DRESS OR ROMPER: Pick one! Depending on the material and style of the romper or maxi, you can dress it up or down. You can use this as a cover up, casually, or dress it up at night with some accessories.
3) SANDALS: It’s probably going to be hot where you are headed, and water may be involved. Sandals are the top pick for walking around on the beach or though the mall.
4) SHORTS: Super comfy and versatile, what’s not to like? Denim ones are good for the day, but if you get some high waisted ones in a nice material, they would look great at night.
5) A BOLD SHIRT: Think big bright stripes or a distinctive print. It is easy to wear and doesn’t need much else to look great. Pair it with the shorts or layer it on top of the maxi dress.
6) SUNGLASSES: Protect your eyes and face together by taking a oversized pair! It’s like two for one. But seriously, eye protection is a must when you’re out in the sun for extended periods of time.
7) SUN HAT: Fedora, boater, or floppy take your pick. You need sun protection during the summer, it’s an essential.
8) YOUR FOUNDATION Keep it light and easy to apply, so you don’t need to pack a brush to apply it. Try a tinted moisturizer.
9) AN ELECTRONIC DEVICE: It says electronic device for a reason! If you don’t need your laptop don’t take it with you. Take an iPod or tablet instead. Your check if your hotel has computers if you need to use the computer. But take something to prevent boredom while traveling.
10) CHARGER: For whatever electronic you chose to take above.
11) A JACKET: Linen blazers and denim jackets are perfect for those breezy summer nights. You can use it to dress up what you chose in number two and go out for a nice dinner.
12) DRESSY SHOES: This entails many things, from a pair of wedges to pumps, whatever. But dressy shoes can easily take and outfit from day to night. A bright pair of pumps would look great in the tropics.
13) A STATEMENT PIECE OF JEWELRY: Added to a outfit with the maxi, shorts, or romper and dressy shoes the outfit can be transformed for a semi formal dinner. Think a big pair of chandelier earrings or a bold gold necklace.
14) BRIGHT LIPSTICK: A swipe of this will make you look like you got your full eight hours of sleep last night, and is also good as a day to night transition piece.
15) SUNSCREEN: Sunburn isn’t fun or cute, prevent it by always toting around a good sunscreen. Remember to reapply often when you’re out!
This is everything that would go into your bag. But, you can cheat with what you wear on the plane or car ride there! For your travel outfit include comfy flats, a tank top, jeans, a light cardigan, a light scarf and a huge tote bag. These will be great to mix and match with the pieces in your bag.
CHIC ADVICE: ILANAMORGAN, VINTAGEDREAMER & HALLIEDAILY
On packing light and making one piece work different ways…
IlanaMorgan suggests a drastic way to pack light by following the example of style blogger Jessi Arrington. Who when speaking at the TED convention, only brought her undies. The rest of her vacation wardrobe was thrifted in the area where she was staying. You can watch Arrington’s lecture here.
VintageDreamer knows she will buy things on vacation, so she packs light by taking basic prints and similar colors so she can easily mix and match. She suggests taking something like a white cotton dress on vacation. So if you need to go somewhere dressy you can wear it with pumps or if you wear it casually you can pair it with some tights and combat boots.
HallieDaily Suggests packing lighter fabrics to reduce the weight of your luggage, since there are the pesky limits on luggage weight for airlines now! Hallie also suggests a maxi dress since it looks great at the beach, and can be accessorized for dinner.
So you have learned our top picks for traveling essentials, and some of our fellow Chictopians as well. Be sure to say in the comments what you wouldn’t leave on vacation without!