Fashion Week had us coveting this Spring 2011 Trend – envelope clutches! We were left drooling over yellow, blue, orange, green and red envelope clutches seen in the arms of fashion darlings. This is one arm candy we are certainly donning this Spring!
Envelope Clutches Everywhere
Envelope clutches including those that look like oversized pencil cases or clutch sleeves are growing in number. Besides, when you’re out and about, all you really need is your Phone and your MILK (Money, ID, Lipgloss/Lipstick, Keys). This Spring and Summer 2011, ditch the big bags and go for simple, CHIC and eye candy clutches. Just take a look at how Taylor Tomasi Hill, Yasmin Sewell, Ashley Simpson Wentz, Gwen Stefani, Hilary Duff and Ashley Olsen enjoy their clutches in various styles, colors and sizes!
- Medium Leather Carryall, $50 by American Apparel
- The Emmy Bag by Mark B, $80 at Topshop
- Elaine Turner Bella Cheetah Pailet, $87.99 at eBags
- Lauren by Ralph Lauren Acadian Clutch, $183.99 at eBags
- Charlie by BCBGeneration, $63 at Zappos
- Basenji, $30 at Aldo
DIY: Envelope Clutch
Of course, what better way to have an envelope clutch is by doing it on your own! For less than $10, I was able to make an envelope clutch that also doubled up as my iPad sleeve!
1. Buy faux leather from fabric and craft stores (e.g. Joann’s), thread and zipper.
2. Cut your leather into a rectangle that’s double the size of the envelope clutch you want and add an inch on both sides for sewing. For a multi-purpose envelope clutch, I decided to make one that will also double up as an iPad sleeve. So in the photo, you’ll notice I used my iPad to measure the size of the clutch.
3. Fold your leather into half with the back of the leather showing and the leather inside the fold.
4. Start sewing a straight line on both sides of your clutch.
5. After stitching the sides, turn the clutch inside out.
6. Open the zipper and position in the opening. You can pin it at the ends to keep it in place.
7. Stitch the zipper.
8. Enjoy your clutch!