“Carrie: Honey, if it hurts so much, why are we going shopping?
Samantha: I have a broken toe, not a broken spirit.”
- From the tv series, Sex and the City
Let’s face it, Chictopians. The economy is not getting any better, but that doesn’t mean people have stopped shopping! Here’s a guide on finding the best deals online and in-store using coupons/discounts and other useful shopping tips!
Keep in Mind___________
Whether you’re online shopping, thrift shopping, or window shopping, make sure you have these few rules in mind to be the ultimate bargain fashionista/fashionisto! It will make shopping for awesome deals hassle-free and efficient.
1. Have an idea of what you want. A lot of us (both men and women) tend to impulse buy if we are just window shopping. Like going to the market, make a list of items that you think you will need. This can take the “fun” out of shopping, but this list can actually help organize what you need and what you already have in your wardrobe.
2. Set aside a “fashion” savings account. No, you wouldn’t need to go to the bank to obtain this “account!” But, make sure you make a realistic estimate of what you’re willing to spend on a certain item. Setting aside a budget can really help you feel better about your spending AND get an awesome deal!
Before you hit that Checkout button, make sure you read this! It has saved me at least 10% off on what I would normally pay if I hadn’t follow these pointers!
1. Be familiar with the “C” word! At a time like this, you should be familiar with the “C” word – no, it’s not a curse word, but “Coupon Codes” are really your best friends when it comes to shopping online! Coupon Codes usually contain letters/numbers that form a word that you can use to input during the Checkout page! Usually, you can get free shipping, 10-40% off, freebies, and more! Here is a list of websites that you can go through to see if your favorite store is offering any awesome deals!Dealigg.com – This site usually offers promo codes for electronics, but there is a search button to look up a certain item or store. I highly recommend this since I can find coupon codes for stores like Urban Outfitters, Victoria’s Secret, and E.L.F.! Dealspl.us – No, Chictopians, you’re not looking at some tinyurl url, but this site offers an extensive list of coupon codes as well. This is a bit more organized than Dealigg.com/ and offers even a category for just clothing! Slickdeals.net – This site is formatted like a blog and instead of photos, you will see links to the deals directly. It can be an eye sore, but this site updates daily and lets you know what kinds of deals are being offered on a daily basis. Freeshipping.org – Can’t seem to find any promo codes from the above websites? Well, you can always save by getting free shipping! Freeshipping.org/ basically rounds up many of the popular online retailers (i.e., Old Navy, Kohl’s, Zappos.com/) in one site that are offering free shipping.
2. Sign up for a new email address. What do I mean by this? Basically, a lot of online retailers love spamming their potential/current customers with news about their current or future sales. Sometimes they even offer exclusive offers for people who are on their mailing list. This is the fastest way to get updated news on your favorite online stores! Make sure though you DO NOT use your regular email address when you sign up for a store’s mailing list. Set aside an email address that is exclusively used for “spam!” It will make life a lot easier – I promise!
3. Be a member of those “invitation-only” sites. It all started with Gilt.com where once you’re a member (it’s free!) you can get instant access to clothing, accessories, and more for up to 50-75% off the manufacturer price! The catch is that the sale only lasts at most 24 hours long AND these sites only offer a limited amount per item. I’ve bought American Apparel clothes, Urban Decay cosmetics, and even Bobbi Brown cosmetics for more than half its original price!Hautelook.com Gilt.com Ruelala.com Ideeli.com Beyondtherack.com PLNDR.com
The main thing with these sites is that it’s through “invite,” so when you register for a free account, you will need to be invited by someone who is already an insider. If you don’t know anyone, you can easily google a code to see if you can find one!
1. Children’s Sections – Have you ever gone to H&M or Target and looked at the children’s sections and thought, "Wow! Their clothes look way better than what they’re selling at the “Juniors’/Women’s” section?" Well, no worries because I’m sure you’re not the only one! The only problem with shopping in the children’s section is that you will have to be on the smaller frame to fit the clothes. I am a size US 2/4 in Women’s, and from there, I am usually a size “XL” or "Size “14-16” in the Girls’ section. If you’re a size US 0, you can fit a size “L” or “Size 12-14” in girls’! Aside from clothes, you can shop for hair accessories, jewelry, and more that you wouldn’t normally find in the Women’s section.
2. Yard Sales – Yard sales/flea markets/thrift sales, however you call them, they are wonderful! You’re more likely to find cheaper and one-of-a-kind deals at yard sales than thrift stores since you cut out the middlemen. Not only will you be getting some fresh air outside (since yard sales are usually held at parking lots or in people’s front yards) you can also bargain with the seller on the pricing!
3. Chictopia’s Chic Swap – Visit our very own Chic Swap to swap with members to get some cool clothes/accessories for your wardrobe! To make this experience safe for our Chictopians, we have you guys purchase Chic Tokens (with real money) in order to exchange for these goods. Go to the FAQ to get some more information on how you can start selling AND buying!
Hopefully these tips have been useful for you Chictopians on finding the best deals for a fraction of the cost! Feel free to give us your comments on how you shop for awesome savings!