For many high school students, myself included, prom is the last gathering of longtime classmates before graduation. A huge part of the prom equation is what to wear. Of course, you can stop at any local formal shop, but such options tend to be similar – and then there’s the risk of wearing the same dress as another girl! From classic gowns to modern cocktail dresses (appropriate for future events, as well!) at varying price points, we have you covered.
Main Image, from left to right:
Lace Panel Maxi Dress, $250 at Topshop
Halston Heritage Pleated Lame Mini Dress, $325 at Net-A-Porter
Stud Scatter Tail Dress, $310 at Topshop
Alice + Olivia Kellye Silk-Crepe Dress, $315 at Net-A-Porter
1. Leighton Dress, $99.99 at J.Crew
2. Fleur Embroidered 60s Dress, $99 at Oasis
3. Vintage 50’s Inspired Printed Prom Dress, $35.86 at Asos * Bargain!
4. Tied Down Dress, $98 at Anthropologie
5. Green Print Prom Dress, $64.84 at River Island
6. Kendra Dress, $79.20 at Tracy Reese
7. Aveline Dress, $79.99 at J.Crew
1. Anna Sui Rose-Print Silk Dress, $192.60 at The Outnet
2. Walter Tie-Dye Silk-Chiffon Dress, $120 at The Outnet
3. Enchanted Mesh Dress, $132 at Oasis
4. Vintage Inspired Reproduction Dress, $150 at Etsy * Custom-made for a perfect fit!
5. Robert Rodriguez Dress, $195 at Yoox
6. Brushed Cotton Sateen Dress, $116.55 at Asos
7. Tessera Dress by Maple, $168 at Anthropologie
1. Candela Cotton Native American Mami Dress, $235 at Saks.com
2. Coast Tinsley Dress, $356.71 at Selfridge’s
3. Aqua Jamie Maxi Dress With Harness Belt Detail, $268.95 at Asos
4. Coast Latisha Maxi Dress, $316.17 at Selfridge’s
5. Robert Rodriguez Dress, $215 at Yoox
6. Draped Cowl-Neck Dress, $328 at BCBGMAXAZRIA
1. Maggie Gown, $498 at BCBGMAXAZRIA
2. Sandspun Maxi Dress, $400 at BHLDN
3. Auburn Tribal Stripes Strapless Dress, $350 at Tracy Reese
4. Rick Owns Lilies Open Back Draped Dress, $381.03 at Selfridge’s
5. Robert Rodriguez Wood Print Dress, $395 at Zappos
6. Valenciennes Dress, $350 at BHLDN
But of course, there’s more options!
Worried about fit? Etsy is a great source for perfect-fitting dresses – there’s plenty of independent designers selling custom-sized wares, along with a plethora of pretty vintage dresses with stated measurements. For custom-made dresses with a retro feel, check out Whirling Turban. Though a little pricier than most Etsy pieces, if your budget allows, consider this online boutique.
Don’t think you’ll wear your dress more than once? Rent The Runway has tons of designer dresses up for rent. Order two sizes, wear it, and return it! Simple as that.
Want something vintage? I avoided putting specific vintage dresses in this compilation because most pieces are one-of-a-kind and available in only one size. However, if you need a few starting points, I recommend Adorevintage, Etsy, and Posh Girl Vintage in addition to any local shops!
Don’t forget to post your lovely get-up on Chictopia to give others inspiration!
Already have your dress or a few ideas? Show us!