When you want to look basic and chic and not I’m running to the supermarket and forgot to change out my pyjamas, try:
1. Cuts and styles that suit your shape and good qaulity materials. I love this white t-shirt, it’s a little long and the cotton/silk blend is pretty awesome! It’s cool enough to wear when it’s really hot but also easy to layer up as it drapes very nicely. Great for wearing to uni when the weather decided to go from foggy, icy mornings to “Did you forget it was the tropics here?!” by midday.
2. Basic doesn’t necessarily mean black. If you tend to reach for blacks and whites in time of time shortage and other crisis which required an outfit of basics (or, you just felt like it) try to reach for navy or grey instead of black. They usually work just as well. My wardrobe consists of mostly black, so when I go shopping and really like something black I try to see if it comes in grey or navy. If not I get the black. Black usually wins, but I still try!
3. Add a little bit of colour. I like red. It’s my colour of choice when I realise I’m wearing all black for the 6th day in a row.
4. Interesting accessories. Get a bunch of basics and pile them on and unless you’re an Olsen twin or particularly good with picking perfect outfits, you may look plain. I added this feather headband I made; black shoes and black bag and it pulled my outfit together. I got my dose of black without dressing black.
5. Experiment. Again unless you’re super freaking awesome with putting things together in your mind and always getting a winning combination, it’s a good idea to try stuff on. I always do this, give yourself an extra five minutes to change clothes before you go out, you won’t believe how many times this has saved me from “what the was I thinking” moments during the day.
6. Experiment more. Jeans and my height don’t really get along. I may not look like I’m only 158cm (5’2”), but that’s because I wear jeans as rarely as I can get away with it. Jeans with heels however, preferably extra high ones is a different story all together.
..or just do whatever works best for you.. that always works too :P