Some may call it a fake holiday, designed by big corporations to make us buy more crap. That might be true. But you wouldn’t be a chictopian if you wouldn’t still want to look nice, right? Let me help you find some famous fashion inspiration to guide you through 4 different Valentine days!
SUMMER FINN: GETTING TO KNOW EACH OTHER
- Setting: the early days of a relationship. You don’t know this bloke/chick that well yet, but you are liking what you’ve seen so far, so you’re spending Valentine’s day together! The fact that your relationship is still young usually also implies that you don’t really have any routines yet: you don’t know what to expect of the day. This means that you will have to BE PREPARED!
- Advice: an outfit that is both practical and lovey dovey is in order. Our tips? Wear a pretty pretty dress to get in the romantic mood, but choose flats so you won’t have to be a whiny kid if your date has planned an active day ahead. A cardigan and tights keep you warm and offer you the option of taking them off when you end up somewhere more dressy/less windy, and the trenchcoat and bird necklace are just irresistible.
- Take a hint from: Summer Finn (500 days of Summer)! She’s the perfect mix of levelheaded practicality and girly romantic looks. Can’t you just see her in this vintage inspired outfit?
- On Chictopia: our very own atfashionsmercy can certainly inspire you when putting together a cute date outfit!
JENNIFER ANISTON: CASUAL WITH FRIENDS
- Setting: whether you have a lover or not, you’ve chosen to spend the night with friends. You aren’t the biggest Valentine-afficionado, but you still want to spend some time with the people you love. You’ve known these people for a while, so there’s no need to “dress up”.
- Advice: but of course, “not dressed up” means something different to a chictopian than it does to your average Joe. We go for warm red skinnies: red for Saint Valentine, skinnies because they make our butts look hot. Add some sexy but simple chelsea boots, a menswear inspired shirt, a girly flower belt and a classic coat and you have a simple, relaxed look with just enough detail to still exude fun and character!
- Take a hint from: Rachel Green (Friends), the perfect girl next door, always stylish but never too trendy, and an expert at hanging with friends.
- On Chictopia: Districtofchic because she always looks trendy but never showy!
CARRIE BRADSHAW: CRAZY NIGHT OUT
- Setting: you’ve marked your calendar with a big, bold X : it’s Valentine’s night and you’re painting the town red! You’re going out with friends or your love, and you are planning on having a very very good time. You’re a bit crazy for going out on a monday, but crazy girls have the most fun!
- Advice: pull out all the stops. Don’t be afraid to take a crazy risk, like mixing pink, red and purple in your outfit. Give a little kitschy wink to the occasion by wearing heart themed prints or accessories, and be the most fabulous you you can be!
- Take a hint from: who else but the queen of crazy dressing: Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City)! She wouldn’t bat an eyelash at the crazy colors we’ve put together here, and she’d fawn over the heart adorned fluttery skirt!
- On Chictopia: we all have a bit (ok a lot) of Carrie in us here on Chictopia, but I’ll narrow it down to one example. Joannaladrido is a total fierce babe who always looks ready for a night out, even when she’s dressed for the office. Now THAT’S dedication!
BREE VANDEKAMP: SEXY SURPRISE
- Setting: you’ve been together for a while now, and you don’t feel the need to go out and do all sorts of crazy things because the things you love most are right there at home. You’ve planned a cozy night with your partner in love, but you still want to do something “festive”…
- Advice: naughty surprises are the best surprises of all, trust me on that one. Not only will wearing sexy lingerie make you feel more sexy and thus in for some frolicking, I’m sure your other half won’t mind you wearing it either! Go for a simple, comfortable outer layer, like a wrap dress (easy to take off). Put on your favorite (new) set of sexy undies underneath, and don’t be afraid to go a bit over the top: a garter belt or some stockings are sexy, not slutty! Simple, classy pumps and an in-theme necklace that pulls attention to your cleavage. Are you still wondering why I didn’t include panties in the collage?
- Take a hint from: Bree Vandekamp (Desperate Housewives). I’m sure you all remember that scene where Bree enters her husband’s hotelroom wearing nothing but red lingerie and a fur coat. Cool and composed on the outside, naughty and hot on the inside.
- On chictopia: you probably don’t need any more pointers to make this look work. Have fun! ;-)