The TURBAN is one of the hottest head accessories at the moment. Not only is it perfect for Winter but it’s also a super chic accessory come Spring. Let’s take a look more closely at Turbans and get styling tips from fellow Chictopians and the world over.
Who’s Wearing the Turban?
Origin of the Turban
Turban is the English name derived from Turband, tolibant or tulipant, all referring to the flower tulip, as suggested by the look of the folds of this head accessory. But its origin goes all the way back to the fourteenth Century as the Moorish occupation ended in Spain. In the Old World, it is deemed to be of Eastern origin. Arabians, Persians and Indians are known to be the among the first ones to wear this type of headdress. It would consist of a long scarf which is wound around the head. In some cultures, they would wear it to cool off their head from the heat of the sun. In others, it was a form of obligation to show their religion or faith.
Later on, it was deemed as an accessory trend that other people started following and other races started wearing the turban. It was in the 70’s that this trend hit high and among the many fashion icons wearing the turban is Barbara Streisand. In 2007, fashion labels such as Prada, Marc Jacobs and Ralph Lauren among others offered these turbans for women as you can see Eva Mendes wearing it in a Prada ad.
Today, we embrace the turban as a stylish head accessory and our fellow Chictopians wear it best! Here are some tips on how to rock today’s turban.
How to Style the Turban
The Turban is a perfect accessory for both cold and warm seasons. It will keep your head warm in the Cold, make you look chic in the Spring and keep your head cool under the Summer heat.
1. Spring – lexigancayco wears a turban with a chic Spring outfit. The perfect pop of color – red with a flowy white blouse and leopard wedges is topped off with a black thin turban for just the right amount of accessory!
2. Summer – lidam wears the turban super chic! A chiffon turban looks so classy with a crocheted/knitted swimsuit cover in the same beige color. Add to that a yellow bikini and she had us wanting to go to the beach! Summer is the perfect time to go for light and airy fabrics for turbans!
3. Fall – FashionZen makes us wanna go back to Fall season to wear our sheer tights, short dresses, leather jackets topped off with a velvet turban. So luxe.
4. Winter – Gabie mixes her black turban with black gloves and black shiny leggings and make them pop out of a gray cardigan. Mix your black turbans with a contrasting color or something light to make them pop out!
Photo Credits for Photo 2 – from left to right, top to bottom
1. Every Day is Sunday
2. Flashcard Machine
5. Jennifer Lopez from Eternal Allegiance
6. Sikh Philosophy Network
7. Eva Mendes for Prada from Wonder Momo
8. Barbara Streisand from Londonoa
Visit my personal blog for more posts by me.