Not all trends may work for all body types, but knowing how to rework them to custom fit your body can easily do the trick. Here are some tips on how you can customize various hard-to-pull-off trends that you’re dying to wear.
Full/Maxi Skirts and Maxi Dresses
They come and go and while they are at full swing, not everyone dares to wear maxi skirts or maxi dresses. Why? Some ladies who are vertically-challenged think they’ll get lost in all that fabric. While other women fear of looking too bulky or pregnant with a maxi dress.
1. To avoid looking any shorter than you already are, opt for dresses that are sleek, simple and not too bulky. This way you won’t look like you’ve been covered in piles of fabric. Take for example Mary-Kate Olsen who donned a sexy maxi skirt but kept it simple and sleek.
- Break it up with layers. By layering a maxi skirt or dress with a vest, jacket, blazer or scarf, you’re showing that you aren’t lost in all that fabric. You’re dictating where your top ends and where your bottom/skirt begins. Check out how mousevoxvintage did it!
- Easiest way to work out a maxi dress? Wear heels. It will give you an instant boost and will definitely help if your maxi dress or skirt is already on the floor. Marcella stylishly pairs her maxi dress with high heels!
- Choose a calf-length skirt or dress to act as your maxi skirt or maxi dress. It’s not floor-length so you’ll still see your legs in all that fabric just like coliessoule did.
2. Now if you hate the bulky feel or how a maxi dress makes you look like you’re expecting, customize your maxi dresses or skirts is by cinching it with a belt. By giving your body or dress an hourglass shape, you won’t look sloppy or bulky. Also, try to avoid empire cuts if you wanna avoid looking pregnant.
High Waist Bottoms
Be it shorts, skirts or pants, high waist bottoms tend to widen the hips and emphasize the waist. But whether you have a boxy or pear figure, skinny frame, or you’re vertically-challenged, this trend can still work for you.
1. Don’t go for high-waist bottoms that are too tight on the hips. They will emphasize the boxy or pear shape. Go for more loosely fitted shorts and pants, and go for full skirts to give you that shape you want. AmandaBrohman keeps it cool with some harem-like pants that aren’t too tight but not too loose as well.
2. Cinching with a belt in a contrasting color breaks a boxy or sporty figure. Take a skinny belt and wear it just below the edge of your bottom. It works with dresses that look like two pieces as well. llymlrs shows us how to do it.
3. Layering up is always a great solution to wardrobe issues. By wearing a vest or coat, a poncho or even just a scarf, it lets you work out a trend no matter the body shape. Check out how iamappleorchard layered up her high-waist shorts.
4. Too skinny for high-waist skinny jeans? Just layer up a cardigan or blazer on top of a fit shirt. It will give you a fuller look on top to balance out the skinny in the bottom. See how rosemud shows her slim physique.
Oversized tops such as boyfriend jackets, grandpa cardigans, men’s coats and even bulky coats tend to make the petite frames look even more like kids. These tips will help you work the trend no matter how short, skinny or petite your body is.
1. Layer your over-sized cardigan on top of a short dress. If you have a petite frame, you don’t want to get lost in all that bulky sweater, coat or jacket. By showing your legs, you break up the huge outerwear just like kellympreston did with hers.
2. When it’s men’s coat you want to wear and you have such a petite frame, it’s always best to go for skinny jeans. It will balance out the bulkiness of the coat just how Aphrodite does it with hers.
3. Dress it up. Oversized coats and layers can make you look a bit sloppy. But to balance it out, dress up your overall look. mwamwa wears some colored tights, pumps and a handbag to look all dressed up like a lady.
4. The easiest way to work out a bulky jacket or coat is by pairing it up with some leggings. Go for thermal ones or leather leggings to keep you warm at the bottom while your bulky coat or jacket keeps you warm on top. Take it from thehautepursuit to make a bulky coat work on such a slim figure.
There are a lot of trends out there. And while they say not every trend is for you, there’s always a work-around so that you can still achieve that look you’ve been meaning to try.
Some generic tips that can help:
1. Keep it balanced. When wearing something bulky or huge, pair it with something fitted.
2. When wearing something too tight, pair it with something loose.
3. Mix a vintage piece with something modern.
4. Layering up always breaks up something solid and huge, and allows the unnecessary stay hidden.
5. When in doubt, just visit Chictopia for outfit inspirations! Use our search function to look for whatever trend you’ve been meaning to try and see how our fellow Chictopians are rocking the look!
Visit my personal blog for more posts by me.