Utter the word “chic” in the fashion industry and any up-to-date style blogger will conjure up a mental image of Chictopia.com. What exactly does this word mean? Although the definition is subjective, rising Chictopian chichichicjb is a living example of chic-ness.
1. Q: How did you hear about Chictopia and why did you decide to join?
A: I don’t remember how I find out about Chictopia, I think I was doing my usual round of Googling and stumbled upon it. I was immediately inspired and had to join!
2. Q: What’s your favorite thing about being a member of Chictopia?
A: The constant inspiration! I love finding wonderful new outfit ideas in the galleries! There are so many amazing stylish Chictopians; I love browsing through their profiles.
3. Q: How did you get interested in fashion and outfit blogging? What did you dress like as a little girl, and how has your style changed over time?
A: I’ve always been interested in fashion. I grew up in a small village in Poland, and would sneak off into my grandmother’s closet and adorn myself in her Sunday best (to her horror!). I started blogging because I felt I needed more fashion in my life, and this filled that small hole. As a kid, I was total tomboy. Jerseys and acid washed jeans. How terrible, I know, right? I like to think my style has become more streamlined and lady like over the years; a bit cleaner, a bit more grown up.
4. Q: Can you tell us about your Chictopia username?
A: My user name? (pronounced she-she-chic). I’m so awkward I stutter fashion.
5. Q: You’ve gained quite a lot of popularity this past month, and have been featured on Chictopia’s front page several times. How does it feel to be celebrated like this, and what is your advice to new Chictopia members?
A: It feels pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty….pretty good. Acceptance is a great feeling, isn’t it? I don’t think I’ve done anything too different this month, but who knows? Fashion is fleeting, one day you’re trendy and the next day you’re old news, so I’m enjoying every day as it comes. Be true to yourself, there’s no other way to be.
6. Q: Your outfits are so classic and vintage-inspired. What is your favorite decade or time period for clothing?
A: I like them all. I really do. I think every decade has something special to offer. I am partial to the lady-like pieces each decade has to offer—-Audrey Hepburn over hippie-chic, Bianca Jagger over Disco, power suits over neons, minimalism over grunge, you get the idea?
7. Q: What celebrity most influences your personal style?
A: The Golden Girls. And I wish I was joking. I love their wild earring collections. I love their power suits. I love their wit. Their personalities are their best accessories. Basically any grand old dame is who I look up to.
8. Q: You always look so fantastic, and yet your outfits are usually made of very simple pieces. How can we combine low-key items together for a show-stopping ensemble?
A: Oh dear Lord, I have no idea! I just sort of put clothes on? And look in the mirror? And if I like what I see, I take it outside? I don’t know, beyond wearing what you like, I am pretty crappy at giving advice.
9. Q: We love your textured fur stoles! Do you prefer wearing real or faux fur? What is your opinion on the “anti fur” movement?
A: This is a touchy one. I love fur, I really do. I’m not so much a fan of faux; you end up looking like a walking teddy bear. It just doesn’t really look that good. (Just my opinion). However, I prefer vintage to new. Thing is, I wear lots of leather too, and most people that are ‘anti-fur’ still wear leather in their shoes and purses, so I don’t know what the right answer is. I wear fur. And I kinda like it.
10. Q: We covet your flawless makeup job and enviably-curled hair! Can you let us in on your beauty secrets?
A: Don’t skimp on makeup. If there’s a place you should invest in, it’s your face. Putting on cheap make up clogs your pores, and it’ll look like you’re wearing a pound of it. I wear SPF 70 each and every day, drink at least 1L of water a day, and avoid ciggies and hard alcohol. That helps your skin tremendously, and taking care of it will ensure you won’t need to wear a ton of makeup. In the makeup department, I like Guerlain for mascara and Chanel for the rest. (Their blushes are incredible; it actually tints your cheek without the powdery effect). And that’s about it!