Chic People: gogosushi
What could be better than a delicious plate of sushi? We have a solution to that seemingly-unanswerable question: a fashionable Chictopian, undertaking a corresponding pro-sushi moniker. Sporting a funky, romantic twist on classical style, this Australian blogger is queen of bow neckties, schoolgirl cardigans, and perky haircuts. Ladies and gentlemen, let’s hear it for gogosushi!
1. Q: How did you hear about Chictopia and why did you decide to join?
A: I actually don’t remember how I first came across Chictopia, but I do remember that as soon as I came across the site I wanted to join because I found it very inspiring and thought it was a great way to share my outfits and inspirations with others.
2. Q: What’s your favorite thing about being a member of Chictopia?
A: Being surrounded by so many fashionable and like-minded people! Everyone is so nice and friendly and I love how you can search for ‘people like me’.
3. Q: How did you get interested in fashion and outfit blogging? What did you dress like as a little girl, and how has your style transitioned over the years?
A: It actually all started with me opening my Chictopia account. After a few months I found I was really enjoying it and decided to start my own blog. When I was little, I liked those matching sweater and pant sets a bit too much, as well as a yellow and pink jumper with a blue elephant on it that my grandma knitted me (I still have it tucked away in my closet). As I grew up, I went through more than my fair share of awkward teenage years where I followed every trend that caught my eye, regardless of how well it suited me. It took me a long time to find my own style or identity (if you want to call it that), and although I feel a lot more comfortable with my look now, I still feel like I’m constantly evolving into a more defined me.
4. Q: Tell us a little bit about your Chictopia name. Have your own personal experiences with sushi ever influenced your wardrobe? What is your favorite type of sushi, and why?
A: Haha, well I can’t say it has influenced my wardrobe, but I am inspired by some of the very feminine, quirky and Lolita styles worn so well by the Japanese. My three favorite types of sushi are chicken & avocado, ebi fry and a special California roll (the one with caviar).
5. Q: We love your playful cropped haircut! What influenced you to style your hair like this? Can you give us some advice on how to work with shorter tresses?
A: Thanks very much! It’s been very short and very long, but had always skipped past jaw length. It wasn’t until I was growing out a pixie cut a few years ago that I settled on a jaw length bob. I found the shape really suited my face, which was the main deciding factor for me. It’s also quite easy to style and is the perfect cut for cute hair clips (bows being my favorite) and headbands. I think curly or curled hair can also look very sweet with this cut.
6. Q: You’re quite well-known for your penchant for bows. What’s your favorite way to wear this accessory? How can someone pull off bows even if their style isn’t necessarily girly?
A: My favorite is either a bow hair clip on one side of my hair or a neck tie tied into a bow under a shirt collar. A neck tie is a great way to incorporate a bow into any outfit, as it’s very versatile and you can create so many looks with it.
7. Q: Where do you shop for clothes?
A: I love eBay because you can get so many bargains and do a lot of my shopping on there. I also really like Asos and Etsy and would say that 90% of my wardrobe comes from online stores. There’s always a chance that something you buy online won’t fit, but if you learn the basics with a sewing machine, you can always alter your clothes.
8. Q: What movie and what book have most inspired your style?
A: A few movies that come to mind straight away are Amelie (love the quirky, French looks and use of color) and The Virgin Suicides (pretty, girly, light dresses). I also recently read Lolita and was inspired by the movie’s take on Dolores’s outfits.
9. Q: What’s your number one favorite item in your wardrobe?
A: It’s so hard to choose just one, I love them all. But if I had to choose one, I think it would be my tan Chloe Silverado booties, or possibly my Sretsis Kiki velvet dress.
10. Q: What are your top three favorite fashion designers, and why?
A: Hmm that’s a tough question, I think my favorites would be Sretsis because they always amaze me with their whimsical, feminine collections, Chloe because their bags are gorgeous and I’ve been really inspired by the past few collections, and Miu Miu because they always seem to be one step ahead of the pack and their clothing, shoes and bags are quirky while still being pretty.
11. Q: Which fall trend are you most looking forward to wearing? How do you plan to incorporate this trend into an outfit?
A: I’m really looking forward to wearing longer, fuller skirts and capes come autumn. Although it’s spring here, I’m already collecting a few pieces that I’m going to work into my spring wardrobe before it gets too hot. I’ll probably mix a full, longer skirt with heels, a blouse and sweater (a la Alexa Chung) and the cape with anything and everything it looks good thrown over.
2. Sailor girl
4. Double polka