So I’m back at school and it’s already been a pain. No sleep, lots of studying and general good behavior plus having to be err responsible is draining me. Oh how I miss the long, reckless days of summer already :(
On a happier note, I moved to a MUCH bigger place. No more sharing a closet/room and putting up with my roommate talking explicitly on the phone to her boyfriend… right next to me. shudder For some of you this may be your reality. My heart goes out to ya.
Even with my own room and more space, I still like to stay super organized and neat with my clothes and other belongings. I find that when my room is nicely organized and put together I concentrate and study better! So I thought I’d share some tips in organizing your own dorm room or apartment!
1. Bring only the bare essentials! This is something I learned last year after realizing that space is such a luxury in the dorms. Cramming your entire wardrobe into a tiny 3 foot closet is just not fun! Think to yourself, “do I really need that third raincoat or stack of old, collected magazines that I never look through, but can’t bear to throw away?” Leave it at home people! It’ll still be there when you go home.
2. Color code your closet This is kinda nerdy, but I swear it helps so much! Makes it so much easier for when you’re in a rush in the morning and you just need to wear that blue cardigan with your white tank. You just go to the corresponding color section in your closet and voila! Saves a lot of time and makes it super easy to find anything in your closet.
3. Organize by clothing type For things that I don’t need to hang up like jeans, skirts, shorts, and t-shirts I like to fold up and put in separate drawers. Instead of just cramming them all randomly together.
4. Utilized all space Do you have a windowsill you can lay out all your jewelery? Or a bare wall where you can mount shelves? Use up any space you can! For example, I use the top of my drawer as a place to put all my miscellaneous accessories like headbands, sunglasses and jewelery.
5. Storage savers Clear bins, stackable containers, over-the-door racks, and clothes and shoe organizers are great for keeping things tidy and neat while saving space. A trip to IKEA is a must!
Hope this helps you in making your own room as efficient and organized as possible!
Included with this post are some before and after shots of my room on the first day I moved in. From horrid mess to a clean, and organized oasis!
1st pic: my closet now
2nd pic: my closet before
3rd pic: my room before/after
4th pic: dresser in which I put(in this order) my jeans, then skirts, shorts, “comfy clothes”, and finally all my tights/socks.