As many of you can probably tell, I’m not one for basics.
White tee? Snoozefest.
Black pumps? Who needs them?
“Why spend money on basics,” I asked, “when you can get more interesting stuff?” But my attitude changed when I met the perfect white button-up shirt. The Trovata shirt that I’m wearing is amazingly soft, has the roll-up sleeve tabs I so dearly love, and can be easily dressed up or down. Plus it makes the kookier pieces in my closet (er, my entire closet, that is) a lot easier to wear, since I don’t have to try desperately to match patterns or colors. The perfect throw-it-on piece!
1. Look for a shirt that is classically cut. Not too loose and not too tight, and with relatively few embellishments.
2. Make sure the shirt is comfortable enough for you to wear on a movie night as well as for work or interviews. A nice fabric helps immensely with this.
3. Make sure the shirt isn’t too sheer. This defeats the good-for-all-occasions nature of the shirt. Unless many of your occasions involve peep shows.
4. Steer clear of trendy distressing, fraying, appliques, and anything else that detracts from the shirt’s pristine whiteness.
5. Pick a few (classic!) details that will distinguish this shirt from others. My thing is, as I’ve mentioned, the roll-up sleeve tabs, which are necessary for my petite frame. Maybe your thing is short sleeves, or a rounded collar. These details should still be fairly subtle, or you’ll be sick of them in no time and want a new shirt, which is so not the point here.
Above all else, wear your shirt! You’ll be surprised at how much easier it will be to wear the kookier pieces in your closet! I might not be converting to an all-basics wardrobe, but a perfect white shirt is definitely a piece worth owning for everyone.