I’ve always had a huge fascination with European fashion, in particular Parisian fashion. The Parisians know how to dress themselves and I’ve always fancied myself to be a Parisian at heart. Since I don’t live in Paris, I try to dress like one, eat croque monsieurs and watch French movies, such as Jean-Luc Godard’s Breathless, Bernardo Bertolucci’s The Dreamers, Paris Je T’aime and Julie Delpy’s 2 Days in Paris.
The Parisians have the ability to dress themselves and look effortlessly chic. What are the essential basics to creating a Parisian look?
1. Basic breton stripe shirt – Black or navy, both classic colors.
2. Tan trench coat – tan and navy compliment each other perfectly.
3. Tapered trousers – Women in menswear is seen all over the world now, the slouchy look is very effortless and comfortable.
4. Pencil skirt – This flatters a woman’s figure and emphasizes the womanly curves.
5. Full skirt – This can instantly give a woman personality. The voluminous shape is flirty, feminine and fun.
6. Opaque black tights – Black tights automatically elongate the legs.
7. A hint of red – Whether it be a raven red lipstick or a red bow, a pop of red can perfect the Parisian look.
8. Simple black shift dress – This is elegant and a must have.
9. Beret, boater, or a wide brim hat – Every woman needs a hat collection to complete the quintessential Parisian look.
Need a visual reference? Think Carrie in the series finale of “Sex and the City”. Her tousled hair, stripe top with her signature flower and vertical stripe skirt, although she isn’t French, but she exudes the French romanticism with ease. Find more inspiration from our style gallery: