One of my favorite trends right now is the menswear inspired look. There is something distinctly sexy and feminine about an androgynous outfit on a woman. To wear a simple menswear look is to attest to your own confidence, femininity and power. It is like saying to the world “I am sexy” without showing much of anything.
To say that this look is easy to pull off would be a vast understatement. This look requires more than just the right pieces, it requires your garments to be impeccably tailored, fitted and proportioned. Although the look is best achieved with well-constructed key pieces, it can still be done on a tight budget.
I’ve been playing around with menswear inspired looks for a while now, and although I am no expert, I’d like to offer a few styling tips on how to get the look. The main point to consider before beginning to style is the level of androgyny you’re going for. Do you want to use menswear pieces but in a feminine way? Do you want a strictly menswear look? Or do you fall some where in the middle? My looks usually fall on the more feminine side of the spectrum. When you have picked where on the spectrum your look will fall, you can begin building the outfit with key pieces. Once you have the “skeleton” of the outfit, move on to accessories. The last step to the look is hair and make-up, don’t underestimate the importance of these two as they can make or break your look.
Tips on styling the Key Pieces
1. Pick anywhere from 1 to 4 of the key pieces for the skeleton of your look.
2. How many key pieces you choose will depend on the level of androgyny you’re going for.
3. Pick Key Pieces in neutral tones, save the color for accessories.
4. Create a strong shoulder with a blazer and some shoulder pads.
5. Avoid wearing a dark pant and matching blazer or you run the risk of looking too businessy.
6. You can pair these pieces with different textures and fabrics like lace and silk to play up the feminine qualities of the look.
1. A men’s watch
2. Fold over clutch
5. A tie
Styling tips for the Key Accessories
1. Keep accessories to a minimum to maintain the clean and simple lines associated with menswear.
2. Choose statement pieces like a structured clutch or a large watch.
3. Use accessories as a way to add color or pattern to the look.
Styling Tips for Hair and Make-Up
1. Consider the hair and make up to be like the frosting on a cupcake.
2. Keep make-up in the neutral color palette.
3. A pink lip and disheveled hair can be a great way to add a little softens, while a slicked back bun and nude lips will do the opposite.
The main rule to remember is “Have Fun!”, it’s only fashion.