A few days ago this playsuit came for me in the mail, and yesterday it was almost 70 degrees so I had to wear it out in the cornfields before it’s all covered in snow. I also feel lucky because the wonderful Daceisthebomb gave me a Beautiful Blogger award! It means a lot to me because she was one of my very first friends I ever made here at chictopia and her generous, sweet comments are always a pleasure to receive. Not to mention, she has killer, eclectic style! She swerves between pretty dresses and casual pants and jackets with such beautiful ease! Please check out her chictopia page.
Okay, I think I’m supposed to do the following:
1. Link the http://picasaweb.google.com/UnoCosa/Other to your blog.
2. Tell us 7 interesting things about yourself.
3. Nominate 7 bloggers you want to know a little extra about and pass on the award
My 7 facts:
1. I taught English in a rural Hungarian mountain village near the Romanian-Hungarian border for six weeks. I learned how to say dirty words in Hungarian, taught my kids how to play duck, duck, goose, ate a block of lard nearly once a week, and was taunted by gypsy children on the side of the road. The village only had four streets, one intersection, one corner store, and of course, two bars.
2. My first job out of college was as union organizer for Chinese homecare workers, which was interesting because they all spoke Cantonese and I spoke Mandarin…
3. As part of that job, I once pulled a fist on this 250 pound security dude with no neck who had been hired to provide security for an ongoing strike at a San Francisco hospital. Good thing he didn’t take to my taunts because um, he was this bodybuilder who had just finished a stunt in Iraq!
4. In fourth grade, I wrote a poem about wanting to be a fashion designer for ‘Career Day,’ won first place in the Career Day poetry prize and have been pursuing writing ever since.
5. In high school, I used to sneak out every night at midnight and lay on the grassy playground behind my house, or sometimes I’d sneak out with a boy and we’d ride around town on his bike, and one time a this boy took me to his apartment and showed me all of these books on buddhism that he had been studying and then re-pierced his own ears without properly numbing them first! I was disgusted.
6. John Mark Karr (the dude who falsely turned himself in for the murder of Jon Benet Ramsey) was my friend in Paris (before I knew he was John Mark Karr of course!) and used to walk me to the metro stop every night.
7. I was a latch key kid and I used to come home every day and pull out dozens of outfits from my mom’s closet and put on her bras and stuff them with tissue paper and walk around town dressed like my mom even though I was ten or eleven! I never told my mom until a few years ago.
As for chictopians who I’m really excited by and would love to know more about, they are (in no particular order):
Playsuit from recycled vintage fabrics: Mandate of Heaven
Heart tights: Miss Selfridges
Red peeptoe wedges: Minnie Wilde
For more, please visit my blog: Fashion for Writers !
Okay, I feel like this was a very long post.