We get asked this question a lot. There’s the idea that bloggers wake up, get brunch with other bloggers (making sure to Instagram their food), take an outfit shot, post it, and their day is done. But that can’t be all they do, right? They have to pay for food, rent, and taxes just like the rest of us, right? Well, we decided to lift the curtain on what it means to actually be a blogger. And let’s get this straight: it isn’t all brunches and Bloomingdales.
Bloggers are some of the hardest working people. They have to be. They are basically running their own brand. And in order to make that brand successful (and also profitable), they are leveraging their social influence to build careers.
So what does having a career as a blogger really mean?
Celebrity Appearance and Hosting
Bloggers are built by their fans, so their fans trust that whatever a blogger does or promotes, it is worth it. Fashion designers, brands, and even the first lady have begun to see this and are relying on the engaged audiences of bloggers to help reach untapped audiences.
1. Artinourblood, a native Californian and a student at Parsons, has been invited by Alice and Olivia to host the third year anniversary of their San Francisco store.
2. Tyler Oakley, one of Chictopia’s former team members, and now a star Youtuber, interviewed Michelle Obama!
3. Marzia attending New York Fashion Week front row for Chictopia x Sperry campaign.
Social Media and Creative Consulting
There are no better experts on social media and creative content than fashion bloggers: it’s what they have built their living on! Bloggers understand the nuances of what makes their audience tick, and can often help other professionals and aspiring bloggers reach new potential.
1. Blair Edee, originally a San Franciscan, took up a job as the Creative Director for Tory Burch in New York.
2. Zanita, one of Chictopia’s early Style Icons, is hosting classes for aspiring bloggers.
Content Creation and Distribution
We live in an age of content saturation. So brands are starting to understand it is about the quality of their content versus the quantity. This means EVERYONE is looking for quality content creators. And who better than the bloggers who have been refining and perfecting their content for years?
1. This spring, 10 Chictopians’s styling photos got featured on Victoria’s Secret’s PINK social media channels and banners on Chictopia.
2. Many brands have started their own content hubs to feature bloggers. Smashbox, JCPenney, have featured some of our favorites like Xandervintage and Micah.
See, it’s not all about whether I should get the eggs benedict or french toast! Often times, it’s about how do I fit in all the creative meetings, content production, and eating all in the same day. They just make it look easy on social media.
We are proud of how bloggers have carved for themselves such a creative and essential niche within the digital landscape. It just goes to show you that if you have a passion for something and are dedicated to perfecting it, you will find a way to be successful. And bloggers have found their way. But don’t think for a second they are done yet!