Forum
SEARCH FORUM:
Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
LittleBee
Forum_moderator
LittleBee

I’m really glad to see that kids are being introduced to computers at a very early age these days. The world of IT is rapidly developing so I believe it is a good thing for kids to be exposed to technology. But I do get worried when I see little kids with their own cellphones.My parents let me have first Nokia when I was 15 years old, but nowadays I see kids as old as 7 with their own phones. I find this a little funny, but maybe I am being conservative. Lol. What do you guys think about this?

posted almost 3 years ago
byWoodsandWater
Style_council
byWoodsandWater

I agree! The only good thing I see about kids and cell phones is the safety aspect. I wonder if young kids are even calling each other…

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

little kids obsess over their facebook walls now instead of going outside or doing anything hands-on; my little sis got her first laptop/ipod when she was 10, I think that did way more damage than her non-3/4g phone

F4SHI0N
Style_council
F4SHI0N

i hate the loss of innocence these days!i wish parents would keep kids away from this kinda stuff till they got older:/

KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

My children won’t be getting cellphones until they’re in late middle/early high school or the equivalent. Or, until I feel like they are mature enough to stay home alone. I think that’s when they’ll be mature enough to handle a phone with care.

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

My sister and I had to wait until we were old enough to drive (since we might need them in an emergency), but my mom was basically forced to get one for my brother when he was 11 or 12 because his sports teams didn’t schedule practice end times and just expected the kids to have cell phones and call their parents when they were over. When the world changes, people are forced to adapt!

It doesn’t bother me if kids have phones or laptops, but I think parents should be careful about supervising them and regulating how much time they spend using them. Personally I’d start a young kid out on a basic one-function phone, perhaps with a limited selection of numbers they can call (home, family members’ cells, parents’ work, emergency, etc), and gradually let them have more features as they prove themselves responsible. I think they should also have to pay for non-necessary features (apps, Internet, talk time overages) themselves, because that’s just realistic: If you want all the bells and whistles, you have to pay for them.

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I was 11 when I got my phone way back in 1999. My brother was about 9 when he got his.

I don’t see the big deal with it. So long as there are parental controls to make sure they’re not accessing unsuitable content and/or running up massive bills.

Times move on. I didn’t have a computer growing up and I was always very, very aware that I was the only kid in school without one.

Style4TheCamera
Style_council
Style4TheCamera

I agree. I’m not a fan of young children with cell phones. Parents and children should come up with an end time for whatever they’re doing, so there’s no need to “call, when you’re done.” I think it’s a little forward to assume that all kids have cell phones, like a previous poster stated about the child’s sports practice. That’s not right.

My son is almost 2 and he knows what a computer is and a phone. But does that mean he’s getting one when he’s 6 or 7? No. There are other ways to explore this world of ours without having to use a computer or phone. I think phones and computers should be in addition to the way we already communicate, not replace it.

AliyaGobin
New_user AliyaGobin is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When AliyaGobin reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
AliyaGobin

I think age 10 is a good age for a phone because before that you are mostly with your parents but at 10 you are with your friends and out more often.

jasmine19
Style_council
jasmine19

I really think it’s ridiculous that young children have phones and text more than adults do. It’s horrible because my 9 year old kid sister has a cell phone for just about no reason at all. She asked for one so she can play different apps and got one with a snap of her fingers. I can see if a kid has a lot of different activities he/she attends almost daily and has to use a personal phone to call mommy but I think a more proper age shoulf be 15, basically a high school freshman.

HelloLovelyish_
New_user HelloLovelyish_ is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When HelloLovelyish_ reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
HelloLovelyish_

There are good things about cell phones and bad…. but when children at a very young age start using there cellphones every day like 24/7 than there is something really wrong.. it’s not good for there health and for there REAL social life. These days everyone is crazy about there cellphones , so we are basicly setting an bad example to these children.

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

I think it might be bad for the parents to give kids cell phones. Some of these things cost a fortune and you KNOW kids are going to want the latest (and most expensive) because Jamie’s parents got her one. Thing is with modern cell phones – drop them once and they are finished. Kids don’t take the best care of things.

Hard for me to really say if it’s bad for kids or not cause when I was a kid – some rich folks and Limos had car phones. We had NO concept of cell phones or facebook. To even use the phone to talk (the thing that phones were originally designed for, Alex Bell must be rolling in his grave right now) anyways the conversation was short if your parents or someone else in the house was expecting a call. We mostly had to socialize face to face. Imagine THAT!

I do wonder though what it is like for kids today since their whole social structure seems to do more with texting and facebook.

I guess parents don’t have much choice but to get their kids SOME KIND of cell phone. To kind of expand of what Beckybedbug said – when we are kids, it flat sucked to not have something that all the other kids did.

WE do not think kids should have something but let us not forget that when we were ourselves kids, we wanted things that OUR parents said we should not.

posted over 2 years ago

penelope204
Style_council
penelope204

This sickens me. Why do kids need cellphone? And on top of that they get the good one such as the i phone. I find this very ridiculous and insane. For what?? There’s no point. To me they want it just because it’s “cool” not because it’s needed

posted over 2 years ago

obsessed1302
Style_council
obsessed1302

I do think that kids as young as 7, 8, 9 and even 10 are too young to have cell phones. Why do they need one? They should be supervised where ever they are at. I think a cellphone for kids should be for when they are going out with friends or doing sporting things.

My son got one when he graduated 8th grade cuz he was hanging out with his friends a lot more.

My daughter will be 13 and we are THINKING about getting her one because of the same reason.

They are old enough to go out on there own now so they would need one to keep in touch.

posted over 2 years ago

Neffy
Style_council
Neffy

I got my first phone at 10 but I only had my house number in it. I was told never to use it unless i really need to. It was a really old Nokia and I have snake as a game with no color XD

posted over 2 years ago

AnErin
Style_council
AnErin

Maybe kids need cell phones so they don’t have to suffer a single moment without facebook or something? As we know, there is no such thing as a “social life” unless it is thru FB. I mean egad, FB is like the new oxygen. How else would kids so-called “cyber bully” each other and say how the new kid is gay.

On a more serious note – a cell phone is the new babysitter. It used to be if you wanted to properly watch your kids, put them in front of the TV so the parents could do things mostly uninterrupted. Well, TV is not interactive and the programming is too repeated even with 5,167 channels.
SO, the parents want to get the kids out of their hair and that is why when some really young kids ask for a cell phone, the parents rush to the store at break-neck speed to get one for the little darlings.

So to me, cell phones are amazing – they are – a phone, text machine, clock, calculator, camera, video camera, voice recorder, music player, video player, video game machine, photo viewer/storage device, and more. All in a device that can get easily LOST in your pocket full of junk. But the most important “app” for some parents is – babysitter.

I do not have kids but I do know that the cell phone is something parents use as such.

posted over 2 years ago

claudiakitten
Style_council
claudiakitten

I didn’t get a phone till I was 18!
kids should get out side and play in the dirt..just like I did:)

posted over 2 years ago

PLNDR
New_user PLNDR is new to Chictopia!

10 points - Become a fan

When PLNDR reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
PLNDR

I’m 21 now, and I didn’t have a cell phone till the end of my senior year of high school…and I lived perfectly fine! I think the safety aspect makes sense, but kids do not need them even for that, at least until they’re going off on their own which should not be at age 7 ect…lol

posted over 2 years ago

she106
Style_council
she106

ikr!? but i got my first phone in the 6th grade, it was a vetical slide at&t. now i have an iphone! B)

posted over 2 years ago

she106
Style_council
she106

i just saw a 5 year old with his oOWN cellphone, wow

posted over 2 years ago

AyePee3
Style_council
AyePee3

I totally agree. The only reason I got a cellphone in the beginning of 7th grade was because I went to a really far school from my house and took the bus. I needed to contact my mom somehow :)

posted over 2 years ago

Yellowdiamonds
Style_council
Yellowdiamonds

When I see seven year old’s on their blackberry’s completely oblivious to there surroundings (and or) ignoring the people in their company I don’t think technology is positive for children at a young age at all. I do believe a cheap/unbreakable phone merely for emergencies and contact with family is cool though~

posted over 2 years ago

Vintageholic
Style_council
Vintageholic

I totally disagree with that, cellphones can cause cancer and the youngest you use them, the worst for you. All the little kids I know have one and all I can do is to tell them not get addicted to it. I had my first cellphone when I was 14 I think. I didn’t use it a lot though. Parents act stupid many times.

posted about 2 years ago

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

My kid would never have access of them….They cause cancer…

posted about 2 years ago

Blessedwithmusic
Style_council
Blessedwithm...

I think it’s a bad idea to let kids younger than 14 have cell phones. It’ll be too much of a distraction in school, not to mention children are probably at higher risk of losing or damaging the phones. Just doesn’t seem worth it.

posted almost 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION