SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
lovelyyx
Style_council
lovelyyx

i’m completely new to this whole style thing.

i’m 16, and over the years i have collected a lot of clothes. my closet is a landfill of silky tops, floral dresses,

i feel like i have the basics – now i want WEIRD stuff. i’m talking about 90’s puffy fresh prince of bel-air inspired sweaters. i live in ny. where can i go thrifting without spending too much money?

and where can i sell my clothes (most of them never worn)? can i do both in the same stores?

THANK YOU SOO MUCH

posted over 4 years ago
transatlanticism
Style_council
transatlanti...

I’m from Australia, but here you cannot sell your clothes at “thrift stores” (we call them opshops). Here they are usually run by charities and so all the clothes are given as donations…

I’d suggest something like eBay to sell them. Actually, we should start a ‘for sale’ forum on here and swap them, I have so much stuff I’m over :)

Obviously I can’t help with any good opshops in NY… but I’ve found that with opshops its largely about chance. Just don’t be discouraged, and try on things you wouldn’t normally – one of my favourite tops is a size 16 (I’m an 8 in AUS sizes), but it looks awesome oversized!

posted over 4 years ago

spearme
Style_council
spearme

You should look for weird items on etsy.com too. I have tried thrifting in new york and I feel most things are marked up there. I would def shop online if you want a deal. I have a small etsy shop called Spearme and also Tractordog is a good shop to look at as well. Have you found any consignment shops that you can sell your clothes in new york?

posted over 4 years ago

ClothesHorse
Style_icon
ClothesHorse

If you live outside NYC (but in NY) then thrifting is a veritable gold mine. Smaller towns usually have great thrifting options; also look for estate sales in the local papers for really inexpensive vintage, and troll eBay and Etsy when you have specific items in mind. When thrifting you kinda have to “go with the flow” and see what you find; when looking at Etsy or eBay you can search for exactly what you want.
To sell items; if you have lot you can sell them on eBay. Otherwise Beacon’s Closet, Plato’s Closet and other similar places will buy your gently used clothes (not a very good deal, they don’t give you a lot of money for it). Some vintage stores will buy or trade your quality vintage items; but they usually have a lot of 80s items, purses, hats, etc; so they can be picky.
Some thrift shops will allow you to consign items, or there will be consignment stores in your area. This is a way to sell your clothes and still keep most of the profit, they usually charge a minimal fee to consign. And consignment shops are a good place for quirky items as well. You can find them in your yellow pages/local directory.

posted over 4 years ago

FancySexyMe
Style_council
FancySexyMe

For thrifting in NYC, take a train to Williamsburg, Brooklyn for great finds for the 1/4 of the price.

For reselling, try Beacon’s Closet on N.11th or Buffalo Exchange on N.9th and Driggs. Both places offer 30% cash refund of retail price for your items or 50% store credit. Take note though, these places are looking for the best of the best, including high designer names, so more than likely, they’re only going to take 1/3 of your items. (from personal experience:))

Also check out vintage markets such a Brooklyn Flea or my fav, ARTIST & FLEAS on N.6th btwn Bedford and Berry, which is an awesome market sellling the hottest vintage and handmade items from the local area.

posted over 4 years ago

LoveItShop
Style_council
LoveItShop

Buffalo exchange is good, but they can be picky!

posted over 4 years ago

lalalahoppx
Style_council
lalalahoppx

I love Buffalo! I went to one in Portland a few years ago and got a light pink Juicy Couture hoodie for 16 dollars… and a nice plaid jacket. def. recommended. : )

posted about 4 years ago

babygurlpoint5
Style_council
babygurlpoint5

Not sure if they have them right in the city, but I know they have “Plato’s Closet” north of the city which buys back your clothes…they are a good place to thrift shop too, as well as salvation army or goodwill.

posted about 4 years ago

EUCYFUL
Shop_seller_2 EUCYFUL is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
EUCYFUL

http://www.laurasnyctales.com/nycguide/thriftshops.html

list of thrift shops in NYC

posted about 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION