SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
likejohnnylovedjune
Style_council
likejohnnylo...

Lately I’ve been trying to be more conscious as to who made the clothes I buy, and if they were treated fairly. So I have a question for everyone who shops sweatshop free: where do you get your clothes (and cute shoes, for that m matter!)?

Obviously, there’s thrift stores, the buffalo exchange, and AA. Ebay, too, but I don’t like ordering online, and I’ve heard mixed reports about H&M, but we don’t even have any here so I guess it’s not really an issue.

I’ve checked out responsible shopper for more information about chain stores that are out here (I live in a suburb of Denver), and haven’t really found anything on forever 21, delias, etc.

And, overall, how do you feel about buying clothes that weren’t manufactured in sweatshops?

posted almost 6 years ago
Style_Composer
Style_council
Style_Composer

Well local designers are always a good choice. as for others, a lot of sustainable books and sites have whole page dedicated to fair trade.
Style, Naturally: The Savvy Shopping Guide to Sustainable Fashion and Beauty by Summer Rayne Oakes is a good book. There is a whole list of stores in back with descriptions.

posted over 3 years ago

thesimpletheory
Style_council
thesimpletheory

i remember reading somewhere about this former model who wanted to recycle used clothing and make new pieces. her line is called Preloved, some stuff is nice, but i think it’s online.

posted over 3 years ago

tightsandtea
Style_council
tightsandtea

yeahh I’m so confused about forever21! I’ve heard a lot of shady things about H&M (mostly from their adverts which, in my hippie town, someone pasted over with horrible things that H&M does/supports), but I’m sure F21 has some sweatshop labor going on—how else do they manage to keep such cheap prices? and their stitching always feels rushed and uneven..

I’m really surprised about Gap companies though—their clothes are pretty expensive, and they give off that wholesome american feel so you wouldn’t suspect foul play..

posted over 3 years ago

Style_Composer
Style_council
Style_Composer

aww Preloved is a cute name for reused clothing brand.
ya, those are the reasons i gave up on F21/ H&M. i only buy their excess stuff now. i really don’t understand Gap either since their clothes are expensive. they have better quality but not THAT great quality.

posted over 3 years ago

rakunshop
Style_council
rakunshop

I’m from Denver, too! The local design scene is really awesome, and there are a ton of designers doing stove like Preloved. Everything I wear is either locally made or thrifted…I even just ordered a retro nautical style bikini that is cheaper than any swimsuit I’ve seen in a sweatshop store—and custom fit! Let me know if you want a list of stores or anything!

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION