SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I always look at people who have found great things at thrift stores with envy because I never have any luck. I’m never able to pick out stuff that I would like. Sure, I’ve bought a leopard print skirt and a cute bag before, but other than that, I’ve been completely unlucky.
What are your best tips for shopping secondhand? I’d greatly appreciate some help :)
And if anyone happened to know of any thrift/vintage stores in Philly, I’d love that :)

posted about 6 years ago
1 3
MissMeggo
Style_council
MissMeggo

Don’t be afraid to try stuff on! Whenever I go to good will I grab anything that looks like it might be unique or interesting and try it all on. That means I usually only have like a 10% success rate, but really trying on 10 things and finding 1 good one isn’t so bad especially considering that I have yet to be unhappy with something I bought there.
Also, Don’t be afraid to alter the garment. Great fabrics are still great even if they’ve been used to create an awful pair of pants or a really unflattering top. Cropping tops, cutting off pants, turning jackets into vests are all really easy things to do. If you like the idea of altering clothes but aren’t sure if you’ll be ale to do it well, then Good will is the best place to go.

posted over 3 years ago

randomnaye
New_user randomnaye is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When randomnaye reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
randomnaye

IF YOU REALLY LIKE SOMETHING AND ITS NOT YOUR SIZE STILL GET IT CAUSE BY THE TIME YOU GO BACK AND TRY TO GET IT TRUST ME IT WILL BE GONE

posted over 3 years ago

thesimpletheory
Style_council
thesimpletheory

1. patience
2. go with a plan (an idea of what you’re looking for – or else you will be overwhelmed!)
3. go with someone – they can help you decide if your buys are practical or impulsive
4. explore other sections (mens, children), and other sizes
5. just put everything into the basket and filter after
6. check the rack by the fitting room – people grabbed those items to try on for a reason so maybe some of them will be appealing to you

i went to a thrift store today and i found a michael kors belt in the mens section for only $2!!!

posted over 3 years ago

RayofSunshine91
Style_council
RayofSunshine91

go to beacon’s closet…its almost impossible to leave empty handed

posted over 3 years ago

sloan
Style_council
sloan

A big thrift store lesson is that sizing now and sizing thirty+ years ago are very different, so don’t be afraid to look at things that are marked as being a couple sizes bigger than you are. Also, don’t be afraid to look in the mens section of thrift stores, there are usually really cute cardigans and jakets hidden there.

posted over 3 years ago

tictac2059
New_user tictac2059 is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When tictac2059 reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
tictac2059

I’ve only started shopping at thrift/vintage stores and I must say it is hard. It takes a lot of patience to do so and you can easily get overwhelmed by the amount of clothing in the store. Thrift clothes shopping is truly an art.

I’d say if you are going thrift shopping, it’s best to have a goal or a list of things you want to look for.

Keep an open mind as you can always have things taken in or hemmed.
Also, when your thrift shopping, wear something you can easily take off (if you get what I mean). There is a chance that there may be no dressing rooms at all. Wearing a tank top, flats, and a pair of leggings can allow you to try on several tops, bottoms and shoes in store.

posted over 3 years ago

KrystalGrace
Style_council
KrystalGrace

It’s all about the luck.

posted over 3 years ago
1 3
REPLY TO DISCUSSION