SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
cecilej
Style_council
cecilej

fashion is always changing: new trends, new ideas. sadly fashion costs a lot of money… do you have any tricks or places you like to go to when you’re short of money and you still want to follow the new trends?

my favorite store is zara, but I think it’s quite expensive for the student that I am. I like to go to “sale” shops to find cheap brands, or to chinises stores (they are a lot in my town) wher you can find nice trendy items. I also like to make my own clothes or to buy crafts to change an old shirt into a gorgeous studded shirt…

posted about 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I always go to thrift/charity shops, where things are waaay cheaper, but I sometimes end up spending too much money anyway haha

Do they have garage sales, or boot sales, in France? Those can be good places to find clothes for really cheap!

posted about 2 years ago

MissMellalina
Style_council
MissMellalina

Thrift Stores and flea markets <3

Facebook.com/MissMellalina

posted about 2 years ago

BeckyBedbug
Style_council
BeckyBedbug

I love charity shops! You can find so much great stuff there!

posted almost 2 years ago

ZofiaZwieglinska
Style_council
ZofiaZwiegli...

Honestly, there is nothing more inspirational than Pinterest. If you want to save a couple of spare euros, make a change with the things you already have. My favourite way is to add sequins or glitter, especially to shoes… It creates a completely different look that definitely makes you (at least) feel like your wardrobe has been refreshed!

BethanyMaureen
Style_council
BethanyMaureen

I like checking out thrift stores. Chictopia shop also has items that are inexpensive, similar to Zara’s price range.

crystaldots
Style_council
crystaldots

Fashion does cost a lot, unfortunately, and that is why it is such a multi-billionare industry! However, we all can beat the system (even if by a little) by doing DIY and like what Catie said, charity/thrift shops!

Here on EverybodyIsUgly, Chictopian Editors, Sylvia and Sam of LipGlossandBlack do some simple YET awesome DIYs! You can check them out!

gnathania
Style_council
gnathania

Go online shopping! I love asos so much! It’s cheap but pretty.

mercik
Style_council
mercik

I ONLY shop at thriftstores like GOODWILL/Salvation Army and little hole in the wall places.

I may buy something occasionally if it’s on clearance.

I worked for YEARS at the mall in an upscale clothing store and would NEVER spend all that money on anything..

I buy LUCKY magazine regularly, and VOUGE about 2 times a year. ( the fall and spring fashion issues) and occasional Seventeen mag to keep current.. and I love loking at the pics and getting ideas..

BuI I put my own look together for way less. And I buy vintage and designer clothing.

anetteivanova
Style_council
anetteivanova

I rearly buy something at full price. Mostly sales. You can also find treasures in the second hand shops and if you’re creative enough and have the time you can turn any old unwanted thing into a trendy piece. Ebay is full of cheap goods too.
I also love to sew my own clothes. The whole process of choosing the fabric and the pattern, sewing it and then wearing the finished pice feels really good. Some of my outfits are completed by diy projects.
Be creative, fashion is a state of mind, it’s not that much about the money! :)

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

Thrift stores and sales are great places to start, but remember – it’s more important to be stylish than trendy. Don’t buy into trends that don’t flatter you, and don’t drop gobs of money on passing fads. Know your body, know what looks good on you, and invest in the classics in shapes, colors and silhouettes that flatter you. Limit yourself to a handful of trendy items every season, and learn to mix and match to stay on top of things.

99% of us are on a budget, and sometimes it can feel overwhelming to try to keep up with the 1% that’s not. There have been many times that I’ve felt like an utter fashion failure because I don’t have thousands of dollars to blow on clothes every time the weather changes… But it’s important to remember that most of the bloggers we admire (like Blair of Atlantic-Pacific) are masters of the mix and regularly mix their high-end pieces with low-end. There are thousands of great blogs by Chictopians that tackle this very subject! You should definitely look through them for inspiration if you’re struggling – it’s what I do every time I hit a low point. Seeing, and getting to know, all of the stylish women out there who have interpreted their budget into something classy and chic always inspires me to look at my closet in new ways.

In the end, being stylish comes down to being confident and knowing what works with your personality and your body, regardless of trends. It takes a great deal of experimenting and involves a lot of trial and error, but c’mon… who among us doesn’t love putting outfits together and trying on clothes???

My single best “fashion” buy ever isn’t an item of clothing or an accessory, but it’s something I’ve used countless times – “The Little Black Book of Style” by Nina Garcia. Nina covers the basics of style and thoroughly explains the difference between style and fashion – and how to identify a fashion victim. It’s only about $ on Amazon. I highly recommend anyone trying to define their style give it a read!

“Fashion can be bought; style one must possess.”

cecilej
Style_council
cecilej

thank you to all of you guys! you’re very inspireing, I love your philosophy, fashion_nerd :) thrift store are hard to find where I live, but I recently came across websites where clothes are sold at -80%, and I pretty happy with it. my latest obsession has been collars. easy to make yourself, you can decorate them with pearls, old pieces of clothes, and it makes an outfit more put together. I really think that accessories can help, if you don’t have much mony to put on jeans, dresses…

REPLY TO DISCUSSION