SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

why are they so expensive ? i understand some of them use authentic animal skin (which i’m kind of against) & things of the like, but other than that, how do their items get so high in price ?

posted over 5 years ago
alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

i think i should have known the answer to this a long time ago, but please, don’t judge. :)

posted over 5 years ago

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

ah. i figured the name would play out somewhere. thanks. :)

posted over 5 years ago

hhaak
Style_council
hhaak

well i know from working at DIESEL that quality does play an important issue. DIESEL was one of the first companies, if not THE 1st to apply italian tailoring and craftsmanship to denim.
all fits are extensively reseached and are all double seam stitched for durability.
all washes are hand finished and sometimes require a dozen steps to be completed.

you are paying for handmade, hand artisaned products made of usually the best fabrics.
and well haute couture is another story….its the creme de la creme.

the celebrity popularity is sadly the aspect that seems to have thrown the prices out of wack. the waitlists and the odd cult status that shifts every coupe months now is kinda killing any kind of classic status that could be achieved.
research is oftentimes needed to ensure whether its worth the hype anymore it seems….

hh

posted over 5 years ago

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

quality is definitely something that could obviously make a price go higher, but i just think that quality can only bring a price so high without losing the look that is desired.

posted over 5 years ago

geekbonchic
Style_council
geekbonchic

If you want to confront it directly, head over to your local boutique that carries work by designers like Dries van Noten or Lanvin. Try something. Yeah, yeah, I know you can’t afford it. But try it on. And honestly assess the garment.

I’ve tried on Dries van Noten coat and noted that it was cut to perfection, was made of fantastic wool with a fantastic hand and coloration to them (there was one that was tweedy and honestly had about a million flecks of subtle color in the yarn), and the sheer handiwork that goes into making menswear is astonishing if you ever think about it.

Pick up a Rick Owens jacket and you’ll be hard pressed to find a straight seam. The piecing, the seaming, the fabric treatment, the silhouette; nobody else makes them quite like the Olmar + Mirta folks do and it obviously shows.

Now, if these are qualities that you value and upon which you are willing to place a substantial monetary premium, then you’re already in a mindset to justify it. If it isn’t a reality for you to be floating around in Margiela and Preen, then that’s all there is to it. Naturally there are going to be brands operating at various price points and producing various levels of quality. The assessment, ultimately, is a personal one. I think my friend’s Rock & Republics could have been designed by a chimp suffering from ADHD, but he thinks they’re awesome. Good for him.

Buy or don’t; like or crave.

posted over 5 years ago

MichelleYue
Style_icon
MichelleYue

Depending on certain brands, I think the craftsmanship and quality of the material and work of the pieces are what make the price. Of course they are still going to be ridiculously high compared to what they make it for, but how else could the fashion industry run? :P

posted over 5 years ago

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat
very true.
posted over 5 years ago

Arya
Style_council
Arya

I think the reason why designer labels are expensive aside from the name is because of the craftsmanship, quality, and durability. My mom has a lot of designer bags and shoes and she’s been keeping it stored for quite a while. I wear her Ferragamos now and they’re still in mint condition. So, it’s really worth buying designer stuff at times. :)

posted over 5 years ago

Cameleon
Style_council
Cameleon

Quality and special fabrics play a big role. But I think it also has to do with the fact that designerlabels want to be exclusive. Not everyone can afford these designer items..

posted over 5 years ago

ERose08
Style_council
ERose08

I think it all depends on the price of the fabric and notions and how long it takes to be constructed. Usually cutting the fabric is not counting in the process.

SO its Fabric + Notion + Constuction (usually $15/hour at first)
Then there is an mark up percentage… usually 100%. And the the store mark it up even more so they make a profit too.

SO if the fabric cost $50 all together.
Notions are $20
And it takes 12 hours to contruct
Thats about $250.
ANd then there is the 100% mark up… which equals $500.
and then the store needs to make a profit so it could be another 100% mark up which is… survey says!

$1000.00. Damn!

posted over 5 years ago

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

ERose08: how do you know that ?

posted over 5 years ago

ERose08
Style_council
ERose08

I’m a fashion design major and we learned how to do cost sheets which is pretty much a reciept for the garments you create. Interesting stuff

posted over 5 years ago

SONIAP
Style_council
SONIAP

Hi

this is an interesting topic , as most of the clothes are made in India or China , where labour is very low cost . most people in India are very poor so any jobs available they will do.- even sewing loads of sequins onto clothes – details which we pay for

Plus if you go to India , you can see that most people actually will have clothes made , so people there do actually sew everything carefully . designers are actually charging a LOT for their name and brand as it prob costs them very little to make these clothes , as labour is LOW as well as fabric.
Plus if you go to places like Morocco , leather is cheap – so Chanel , etc prob import it.

Interesting …

xx

posted over 5 years ago

alexisthegreat
Style_council
alexisthegreat

i didn’t know that.. i’m not being sarcastic ! :o

posted over 5 years ago

ruuth
Style_council
ruuth

If by designer labels you mean luxury brands like Chanel, Dior etc then it’s because of the heritage and history behind the brand. It also comes from the exclusivity, they don’t want everyone to be able to afford what they sell. And it’s because they have so many talented and innovative designers that it’s more of a risk for them, this is true for newer labels too like Alexander Wang etc. They are targeting a smaller niche market so the product has to be more expensive.

A basic product from these companies doesn’t cost more to make, its mostly to do with the idea and perception they want you to have of the brand.

I’m a Fashion Marketing student and we learn about the business side of the industry, not the designing side. So it’s mostly these reasons that actually affect the price and it’s the reason people pay these prices.

posted over 5 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION