SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
EmilyHendren
Style_council
EmilyHendren

When should I put away my simple black dresses?—or should i? Can I wear black dresses to work in the spring and summer time?

posted over 5 years ago
tospendtime
Style_council
tospendtime

I think you can make them work year-round. As long as you have a few all in classic shapes, but in a variety of fabric weights (most obviously sheer for summer, thicker knits for winter), then you should be good. :)

posted over 5 years ago

aranell
Style_icon
aranell

Of course you can! As long as it’s a summer-weight fabric I think black can look really chic in the sunshine, especially with sunglasses.
I don’t wear a lot of black in summer but it’s more of a mental thing for me…

posted over 5 years ago

fauxfur
Style_council
fauxfur

I agree, black is all year round. Maybe I’m biased.

posted over 5 years ago

foxhuntvintage
Style_council
foxhuntvintage

try pairing them with bright tights, or softening them with a cardi.

posted over 5 years ago

EmilyHendren
Style_council
EmilyHendren

Whew! Okay, good! Thanks for all the positive feedback. I didn’t want to put away my black dresses, but I didn’t want to be the Adams Family of summer either ha! Thanks!

posted over 5 years ago

ThursdaysChild
Style_council
ThursdaysChild

I know your post has been answered… but another thing is to add cute accessories that say summer… a straw hat, a white jacket, a bright necklace… if winter whites work, then I say summer blacks do too! (although it doesn’t sound as chic…)

posted over 5 years ago

EmilyHendren
Style_council
EmilyHendren

haha, thanks ThursdaysChild :) I agree on the accessories. I’m just such a fall/winter clothes junky that I’ll have to spruce up my wardrobe with some brighter, less jewel-tone items. Forest green, mustard, and plum, will only get me so far in summer!…and they won’t really help accessorize my black dresses! :)

posted over 5 years ago

Crisss
Style_council
Crisss

Yes, why not…with colorfull accessories

posted over 2 years ago

citysleek
Style_council
citysleek

I have so much black in my closet too! I wear lbd’s in the summer with something summer-like, like bright tights, a summer cardi, or just bright accessories/belt!

posted over 2 years ago

cecilej
Style_council
cecilej

of course you can wear black all the year! just adapt the thickness and the material: silk, cotton or chiffon in summer, and knit in winter. I don’t wear much black during the daytime in summer. black absorbs light and you get too hot under that. but it’s ok for going out at night!

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION