SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
monochrome
Style_council
monochrome

I’ve been looking for the perfect leather biker jacket for a long time now. Topshop has a new jacket in that I love but I was wondering if any of you had bought leather from them. Is it good quality? Also, I’m oversensitive to a lot of chemicals, and I’ve had trouble with some leather jackets giving me a headache. Do their jackets have a particularly strong odor? Anyone know? Does it fade? And finally, since I’m asking a zillion questions: For tops, I’m a 2 in most US stores, sometimes 0, but my sense is that I’d probably be a US 4 / UK 8 at Topshop. Does that sound right?

posted over 4 years ago
heatherrr
Style_council
heatherrr

If you are sensitive to chemicals, I would definitely recommend real leather. “Faux” or “vegan” leather jackets are made of PVC (polyvinyl chloride). PVC contains an additive called phthalates, which has been known to cause health problems in lab tests (like hormone imbalances, birth defects, etc). These chemical additives can “leech” out of PVC when you wear it, and may be dangerous. Some PVC contains traces of lead. The state of California is considering a ban on all PVC products, and car companies have already stopped using it in car interiors.

A good quality leather jacket shouldn’t have too strong of a leather odor. The smell will fade over time as well. If you really can’t stand the smell of leather, you may want to consider a wool or cotton biker jacket. While they are not quite as badass, they are still a chic option.

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION