SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
Vivi_T
Style_council
Vivi_T

Ok, who Knew I would turn here for my spending troubles? But I need help! I turned away these shoes that look absolutely gorgeous on my feet from Bakers a couple weeks ago. It took alot for me to leave(actually my sister dragging me out did the trick), and I convinced myself I didn’t have the money(they were on sale for $40). End of story, right?

http://www.bakersshoes.com/product_zoom.aspx?p=105213
I hope this link works, or as you should know, copy + paste onto browser to see the shoes

But I keep thinking about them, and I asking myself why I keep buying cheap things, especially shoes. This leads to major cases of buyer’s remorse sometimes. Once, I went to Charlotte Russe, and came out with these black ankle strap wedges. They looked great on my feet when I was sitting in the store, but now, I look at them, and am disgusted that they just scream cheap, a little uncomfortable, and hobbly to walk in . I think 75% of the reason I bought them was because they were $22. That was not a good buy!! I never wear them! I have at least 2 pairs of shoes (That I don’t wear) in my closet worth $20. If I could sell them I’d make enough to afford those shoes at Bakers that I would wear!

I think my problem is, I’m cheap, and even if I see a great pair, if it’s over $40, I’m scared to buy it. But as I keep thinking about it, shoes are something you should spend the extra money on, if it’s worth it’s price. Trust me, you could have a great outfit, but cheap shoes? Just the thought makes me shudder.

So I need shopping advice. How do you guys deal with or better yet, avoid situations like these? And where is a good place to get good quality, not so expensive shoes?

posted almost 5 years ago
calivintage
Style_icon
calivintage

ok, i can’t address everything in your post, but i shop at aldo and nordstrom most often for shoes within the $50 to $150 range and find that they have pretty good quality. i think the best rule of thumb is to make sure that the shoes are leather. even if they are inexpensive, they’ll last and wont crack or show signs of how cheap they are, you know?? but yes, i hope that eventually i will choose quality over quantity and start buying even more expensive shoes.

i don’t think i’ll ever buy louboutins or something like that, but i’d like to get some nice sigerson morrisons or something like that. probably a better buy as long as it’s not too trendy!

RazzleDazzleMe
Style_council
RazzleDazzleMe

Good point most shoes, I buy are on sale from places, like Dillards.

I don’t like fake leather shoes, they fall apart after a few months of abuse.

Try Marshall’s or TJ Maxx, they typically have nice shoes for 40, and 30 if you are lucky.

jazzyhwang
Style_council
jazzyhwang

i totally see how you feel! this can expand to not only shoes, but also clothes—forever 21 vs. urban outfitters/anthropologie. i think it comes down to quality over quantity. recently, a pair of uo gladiator sandals fell apart, and i was (maybe still am) depressed, but my boyfriend got mad at me about how i always buy cheap (but cute) things that don’t last very long, and i end up spending more money than i need to.

i think shoes are a good investment, unlike basics (ie. tanks, t-shirts) that can totally be replaced. so i think it’s good to pair more for a good pair of shoes :]

hope this helps!

annajyu
Style_council
annajyu

vivi_T, I hear ya! I’m totally a cheap shoe person, but I’ve begun to reform my ways by shopping differently. While I still love to buy shoes from Payless and Forever21 from time to time, I also like going to Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, etc for designer-ish stuff for really cheap prices. In fact, I like shopping there better because I feel like I’m getting some great quality stuff for around the same price (or just a teeeeeny bit more) than what I would pay at Payless!

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

If you have a hunt around you can find good quality shoes for cheap prices. TK/TJ Maxx is usually a good place to look, as are online sales (asos usually put a lot of shoes into their sales so that’s a good place to look). Kurt Geiger is a good store for shoes with good discounts. Their sale section on the website is good, but if there’s an outlet near you (if they have outlets outside UK) they are great to shop in cause some of the shoes have huge price drops.

Though don’t give up on regular clothing store shoes altogether. Just take the time when you’re looking at them to make sure they’re real leather or of another good quality material and that they don’t look like they’re going to fall apart. I’ve not had many problems with cheap shoes, but I tend to stay away from PVC and other cheap looking types and go for the leather ones.

Vivi_T
Style_council
Vivi_T

Wow the advice you guys have given me is just awesome! I appreciate it so much!

I was thinking TJ maxx and Marshalls too, and also Aldo outlets, theres one in philly that’s not very close, but i go to that mall often :). Now I’ve never heard of Kurt Greiger, but i will look at their website. Also, have you guys heard of Piperlime? I think it’s online only, but they have great shoes that i think im going to invest in now.

I’m ashamed but i’ve actually never owned leather shoes! And I call myself stylish, lol.
I’m a bargain babe, but now i know that a bargain really isnt a bargain if what you get sucks as a product! It’s a rip-off!

Again thanks alot for the advice! Love, Vivi

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

Vivi_T, where’s the Aldo outlet in Philly? I live right near there :)

Vivi_T
Style_council
Vivi_T

It’s in the Franklin Mills Mall, i actually like it better than Cherry Hill Mall

nobutterfly
Shop_seller_2 nobutterfly is a Chictopia seller who has been hand-picked by our editors to sell merchandise on our website.

Chictopia sellers carry fashion forward products and ensure great customer experience. Click here if you are interested in selling your merchandise on Chictopia.
nobutterfly

Dude, it was sinful not to get these
I always buy the highest quality shoes (and outerwear) I can possibly afford. That ends up saving good money and, footwise, some health. Often you’ll see a post with a self-made dress that cost 6 dollars and a pair of shoes that cost 120 on sale. Cole Haan’s Nike Air line is incredibly comfortable and stylish. Look on ebay for some cheap ones. Also Anne Klein, Sam Edelman, Faryl Robin, Gentle Souls, and J-Walker can all be found cheap on ebay.

phantomfire
Style_council
phantomfire

Recently I’ve been more conscious about buying clothes. Make sure when you buy something, it fits into your closet and it will last. Saving up for a pair of shoes you are still in love with after a few months is definitely worth it over buying a cheap pair you saw in the mall. It’s natural to want to get a good deal for shoes, but trust me, if you end up saving for something over 40$ for something that will last, it will be a good investment in the end. Just put a little more effort into hunting in sales and try eBay as well. If you’re patient enough, you’ll find amazing deals on eBay. It took me 4 months, but I’ve finally snatched a pair of these amazing boots I’ve been wanting and saving up for, and for an amazing deal too on eBay.

harleygrant
Style_council
harleygrant

A good idea is to get cheap shoes re-soled and/or heeled at a cobbler as soon as you buy them. They’ll last longer that way. :)

gatalivre
Style_council
gatalivre

Rule of thumb is to buy cheap shoes only if they’re in style right now and not
“classic” shoes. The best is finding good deals on good quality shoes. This means going to bargain stores like loehmanns or ross. They have a selection of brand names and no brand name shoes, but they’re usually way cheaper than going to the mall. And be honest with yourself, when you have the shoes on at the store, will you wear them longer than one season? Will you also If not, the shoes shouldn’t be over $20. i love shoes.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION