SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
SunniMustafa
Style_council
SunniMustafa

So I’m on this epic journey to find my OWN UNUIQE STYLE but so far its proving pretty tricky. For one thing my friends all dress nicely but normally and if we go shopping together they are SO opinionated! Also if I wear something unusal they are really… negative.. They are SUCH nice people but not very y know helpful in my epic journey… what should I do? Should I really care what my friends say and think?

posted almost 5 years ago
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

Don’t listen to your friends opinions unless they’re telling you that somethings nice but doesn’t look right on you because that could actually be beneficial. It’s you wearing the clothes, not them, and not everything is going to be to everybodys taste. My friends are the same, and while they don’t like everything that I wear they admire that I have the confidence to dress and be different, and I bet your friends probably think the same.

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Take what your friends say with a grain of salt and find out why they don’t like the pieces they are criticizing. They might be looking out for you, telling you that certain cuts don’t flatter your figure or a piece looks tasteless or poorly-made. Sometimes I get excited with the idea of a trendy piece, but it doesn’t necessarily look good on me and I need a friend to hold me back from making a big mistake :-P However, if they just don’t like the style of the garment (or the overall style you are trying to achieve), you have every right to override them. It’s you wearing the clothes, after all.

anli
Style_council
anli

You are going to stand out. Admit it, accept it, love it. You cannot dress uniquely and still blend in – in fact, that would probably be pretty disappointing!

Also, accept that you will make mistakes. Style is a development – I don’t think you find your “unique style” and stick with it – but certainly, while there will be some outfits you will continue to love in retrospect, there will probably be quite a few “what-was-I-thinking” moments. If your friends criticize what you wear, tell them that you like it. After all, you’re dressing for your own benefit, not theirs.

If you’re not ready to get attention – sometimes negative – don’t start with a radical change. Personally, I went from total tomboy/slob (jeans/t-shirt/flip-flops every day) to girly-girl (skirt or dress/heels/jewelry every day) in the span of about two years. Friends that have known me for almost a decade now say “you always dressed nicely,” but when reminded they say, “Oh yeah, that’s right, you used to never wear dresses, you used to always wear flip-flops and boys’ clothes.”
Some of my friends still make fun of me – “Why do you wear heels every day?” or “I’m going to count the number of times you wear jeans. So far this year it’s two.” – but it’s all in good fun. And the day that I dressed “normally” – jeans, a university t-shirt, and tennis shoes – almost every person I talked to commented on it, and some even asked me what was wrong! Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. :) Have fun with it, and don’t worry too much about what other people think.

amorphous_face
Style_council
amorphous_face

I don’t shop with other people but it would be so fun to have a thrifting buddy. Someone that I could go hangout at the Salvation Army with. Oh well. No one dresses like me as I have a thing for 70s clothes and most people don’t. But even one person who is insanely conservative told me that I have a good eye so maybe conservative people can appreciate my ability to put an outfit together although it isn’t something they would ever be caught dead in.

posted about 2 years ago

BowsandGlitterxo
Style_council
BowsandGlitt...

I used to have the same problem. Do not go shopping with your friends then if they are really holding you back.

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION