SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
aykaysay
Style_council
aykaysay

So, I’ve never bought anything from a thrift store before.
My mom thinks that the clothes there are… well… dirty and nasty.
She won’t let me shop there, but I’m trying to change her mind. I do worry about some of the health issues concerning second hand stuff, like what if the person had a contagious skin disease or something.

Anyway, I guess I’m asking for any advice on how to shop at thrift stores and what to do if i buy something from there. Also, any suggestions on how I can change my mom’s mind would be great :)

posted about 4 years ago
boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

I think the chances of you getting anything weird from clothes is fairly low^^; just make sure you wash it before you wear it =) I don’t thrift shop either just because none of my friends are interested in that and I don’t like shopping alone but I think you can find some amazing deals at thrift stores. Also, its the perfect time for thrifting since vintage is so in fashion at the moment!

posted about 4 years ago

aykaysay
Style_council
aykaysay

thanks! I’ll probably start off small. maybe just buy like jewelry and bags :)

posted about 4 years ago

sweetdion
Style_council
sweetdion

yeah…you could def. start small..maybe a belt scarf or handbag. Then while ur shopping around just look…see what the place has to offer. you might actually find something you just cant live without! Then if you get it, you can take it to the cleaners and there you go!

posted about 4 years ago

strawberrt
Style_council
strawberrt

my mom has the same views about thrift stores. she doesn’t like to wear things that have a previous history to it (like someone dying in the clothes or something). Definitely take a good look around when you’re not in a rush. Take the time to dig through piles. You won’t find something all the time but when you do, jackpot!

posted about 4 years ago

Wheatknee
Style_council
Wheatknee

My mom also has the opinion that you shouldn’t wear other peoples’ clothes, especially if they were donated en masse because someone died. It doesn’t really stop me, but I do take precautions when going to thrift or vintage stores. I bring sanitizer wipes, sock liners and some worn, casual clothes to try things on over.

posted about 4 years ago

arnyfull
Style_council
arnyfull

wow i find this topic educational..i mean sometimes when you shop wisely or you’d like to get good deals you tend to forget about precautions and awareness coz your preoccupied of thinking how to get cheap but nice clothes…

posted about 4 years ago

aykaysay
Style_council
aykaysay

yikes, :( i never thought about people dying in those clothes :/ that might be a little sketchy for me.
For me the two main reasons why I would shop at a thrift store is because:
a) It’s cheap :) and b) it’s more environmentally friendly.
Maybe I would stick to accesories when buying something at thrift stores.

posted about 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Haha, I think over half my wardrobe consists of things from op shops (thrift stores.) And I have a LOT of clothes! My mum doesn’t really like me buying clothes from there either as she thinks they are dirty and poor quality. But I don’t really care as it’s my own money, my own decision and my own style! However, there isn’t any problem if you WASH the clothes!! Besides a lot of clothes in thrift stores aren’t actually ‘vintage’ or even that old, I always find things that I have seen in stores even as close a few months or weeks ago!
Personally I think buying jewelery and shoes would be the most “unhygenic” things to buy from thrift stores as they are more difficult to wash/clean etc (but that’s never stopped me :P)
Maybe you can start off with small things like bags, belts… Make sure you take your time to look through things carefully, and be patient as you will probably have to go through racks and racks of clothes before you find something nice :P don’t get discourages if you don’t find something in your first trip! the more often you go the more likely you’ll find something you like.
Most clothes I find in op shops are pretty good quality, maybe you can just tell your mum you bought them new, haha! Or say you’re doing a good deed for the environment, helping charity and saving money by shopping at charity stores :)

posted about 4 years ago

kia
Style_council
kia

There are alternatives to thrift stores, such as stores that sell clothing that other stores couldn’t. We have a store called Red Planet that is all clothing with tags still on it, but thrift store prices. That way you know it was never worn or died in :P

Although personally I never thrift, because I find better pieces in stores. For instance, outlet stores or final clearance are great alternatives to thrifting…recently at JCPenney I got 15 items of clothing (shirts, scarfs, sweaters, pants, skirts) all that were marked down to $1 or $2 each. They are fun random pieces that I wouldn’t have gotten if they weren’t so cheap, but its like thirfting because you still get that “can i make it work?” challenge.

posted about 4 years ago

aykaysay
Style_council
aykaysay

Thanks everyone! this has been really helpful :)
I was talking to my mom about it today. She said she wasn’t really concern about the fact that someone else wore it, but is more concerned about who wore it.
I remember when I used to live in California we would always walk around and find garage sales. That’s the closest thing I’ve ever done to thrifting.
She said garage sales were better since you saw who had it before.
I usually buy most of my clothes from outlet stores so they are pretty cheap :) I guess I’ll stick to that.
I don’t think I’ll be thrifting yet, but I’ll definitely keep an open mind in the future.

posted about 4 years ago

mavielle
Style_council
mavielle

thrift stores are awesome and I’ve found a load of cool stuff there. The best part is you find things that no one else u know has, making you’re outfit more unique and special. Not 2 mention the almost give away prices. Like every1 else said, just wash it.

Even big designers and celebrities go to thrift stores 2 find vintage inspriration and unique things. Its even super fun 2 find ugly things that you can repurpose or style in2 something beautiful, which is what style is all about right?

posted about 4 years ago

PearlsLaceAndRuffles
Style_council
PearlsLaceAn...

I don’t really get why your mom would be bothered about who owned it before you?? They no longer want/own it so its not really relevant.

posted about 4 years ago

kelseykelsey
Style_council
kelseykelsey

just wash the clothes, and don’t let your mom control you so much haha :)

posted about 4 years ago

P_DoT
Style_council
P_DoT

I had the same question as you, these people came to speak to me and my friends about thrifting and now im inspired! I’m thinking about going tomorrow, any tips?

posted about 4 years ago

Odette11
Style_council
Odette11

maybe plan ahead of time what you are looking for, because if I go thrifting without a plan, I go way overboard & spend more money than I had originally wanted!
but I always find the best things:
leather boots for under $10
real designer purses for under $20
pretty clip-on earrings for under $5 (I’m not pierced)
unique scarves for under $5
& tons of things that I never imagined I would find: jewelry boxes, new clothing w/ the tags on, & sewing patterns !
whole outfits for under $30 !

posted about 4 years ago

eeEmily
Style_council
eeEmily

As long as you wash what you got you should be set, but Ive found I’ve saved a tonnnnn of money buying from thrift stores instead of large chain shops. Its economical and you’re goin green too!! whoopididoo :))

posted about 4 years ago

artyaffair
Style_council
artyaffair

nothing wrong with thrift stores ! anyway, feel free to shop at my blogshop!

here

posted about 4 years ago

MissTrendy
Style_council
MissTrendy

Here you will adore it ! http://stores.ebay.fr/Couture-Sweet

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION