SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Where did you shop, or want to shop, when you were younger? Has your style or perception of style changed since then?

When I was in high school, Abercrombie was huge, but I really liked the GAP, too. Looking back, I shopped at these places to fit in and feel connected with people. I really liked the clothes I saw in fashion magazines, too, but I didn’t want to push the envelope, because I didn’t want the attention back then. I didn’t want to be the one to stick out.

posted over 2 years ago
deflorenflor
Style_council
deflorenflor

I used to love Abercrombie and Hollister, because that’s what everyone wore. Now I think their style is always the same and the quality isn’t very good. Of course, I still sometimes buy clothes there, but I think I’ve become more selective, and I care less about trying to fit in.

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I totally agree! The last thing you want in high school are people staring at you while you walk down the hall.

posted over 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

When I was younger, like around eleven, I’d look at Calvin Klein and DKNY catalogues and I would tell my mom how much I’d love to wear their clothes one day. I barely cared about getting nice clothes in high school (since we all wore uniforms and I played sports).

Today, I don’t see myself wearing CK or DKNY or anything too fancy. I still love my brands (like Topshop, Zara, Forever 21, Asos, Dorothy Perkins), and I’ve seen more expensive brands. I never buy anything full price, not unless it’s just around 50 bucks. I also go for streetwise RTW, those I can buy for as much as $5 – $10 from online stores and departments stores. :)

posted over 2 years ago

juls1008
Style_council
juls1008

Honestly in high school I went to a school that had uniforms (and very ugly ones at that) but fashion wasn’t really of great importance to me. I would say that my personal style didn’t start to develop until I started college (especially in the realm of stores that I love shopping at) and my style has definitely changed and evolved over the years.

posted over 2 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

In high school I wasn’t into clothes at all. I didn’t enjoy shopping because I didn’t know what I was looking for or how to determine what would look good on me or with other pieces in my wardrobe, and I mostly just wore graphic tees or the printed t-shirts I got from school sports and activities with jeans or a couple skirts I liked. It wasn’t until sometime in college I starting paying more attention to fit, texture, and color and developing a sense of what looked good together and flattered my body.

posted over 2 years ago

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Thanks to everyone for their responses! I never went to a school that required uniforms, so I didn’t even think about how that might affect me. It was very interesting reading all your experiences.

@cynchmolina I was totally like that too. Calvin Klein was the first designer that registered with me. I really wanted to dress like Blossom when I was really young. I wanted a big floppy hat with a flower on it!

posted over 2 years ago

mercik
Style_council
mercik

Im almost 40 years old, and have always been into fashion since I was a very small girl.
I grew up poor, but always had my own sense of style. I shopped at “RAINBOWS” and “NELLAS”, “Zayres”….All cheap clothing stories..Because that’s all I could afford as a teen. In my 20’s, I discovered thrift stores, and bought designer clothing at a discount. ( which I still do to this day).
I worked at the mall for almost 5 years, and I Love Banana Republic, Gap, Forever 21, Zaras and H & M most.
I love high fashion brands like Chanel. ( my favorite)..
I hate stuff like Juicy couture ( depends on the item), Victoria’s Secret PINK, Dereon, Guess and BeBe. It’s very cheesy to me. I dont like stuff with too much logos going on..
I love Free People, Urban Outfitters

posted over 2 years ago

mercik
Style_council
mercik

Abercrombie has the BEST sweat shirts. And Hollister…But it’s very played out.

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

I cringe when I think about the way I dressed in high school… As a teen, I always dressed like a boy. It started with shopping in the boys’ department in junior high, wearing preppy type boy stuff because that’s what my (fashion challenged) mom told me was cool. I found out very quickly that she was dead wrong, and I was constantly made fun of for the way she made me dress.

When I hit high school, I started wearing Jnco’s (the skater pants that were enormous), huge t-shirts and skater sneakers. I got a job, and my mom started making me pay for my own clothes, so she couldn’t tell me what I could wear any more. She made me hate my body, though, so I always dressed to hide the fact that I was a girl.

When I moved out for college, my style evolution really began. I think I bought my first pair of girl blue jeans in ten years when I was a sophomore in college – up until this point, I refused to wear anything but black and red.

I moved home that summer, and a friend of mine from high school accelerated that evolution and introduced me to my one and only true love: shopping. When I found fashion blogs and communities like Chictopia, it was like coming home for me. My family has no appreciation for my style, so it’s amazing to have such a huge group of people who do!

posted over 2 years ago

Creatingafashionista
Style_council
Creatingafas...

When I was younger now grant it I am only 19 but in my younger teens I never cared about fashion. I wish that I would have. I never really got into clothes and fashion until I turned 18 but better late than never right?

posted over 2 years ago

obsessed1302
Style_council
obsessed1302

I have a sister that is 5yrs older then me so in HS I either wore her clothes or I shopped at Marshall Fields and other places in the mall to get the next ‘in’ thing. I remember buying I.O.U sweatshhirts and Z. Cavaricci pants…lol!

posted over 2 years ago

JoyceS
Style_council
JoyceS

Me and my sister loves shopping! <33

posted over 2 years ago

theowloddity
Style_council
theowloddity

I’m still fairly similar to when I was younger – I don’t have a lot of cash, so I tend to thrift or get things on sale. The main difference is probably that I’ve discovered online shopping, and become obsessed with Modcloth.

posted over 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION