SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

I LOVE to shop – retail therapy is my favorite form of stress relief!!! As I’ve gotten older and I’m more experienced, and more familiar with the methods of my madness, I’ve developed a set of guidelines for myself when I shop. These guidelines have helped me make countless decisions and saved me tons of money over the years.

1. If I am not 100% in love with it in the store, I don’t buy it, because I probably won’t wear it.

2. If I don’t buy it, and I am still thinking about it a few days later – I go back or go online and buy it. If it’s haunting me (and it’s still there), then it’s meant to be!

3. I write myself a wish list at the beginning of every season. I can buy things that aren’t on it, of course, but I use it as a starting point for all of my shopping trips. I have found that having a goal in mind instead of mindlessly wandering through the racks saves me a lot of time and money.

4. I don’t buy things that are simliar to items that I already have. Who needs six black boyfriend blazers???

5. When I find something I love, I always do a mental check of my closet to make sure that I have something to go with it – if I don’t, I either find something, or I don’t buy it.

6. I really hate trying stuff on, but I will NOT buy something if I can’t. I might love something, but that doesn’t mean it will be flattering on me!

7. When choosing between an item that’s “safe” and one that’s a bit more daring, I will almost always go for the more daring one. I used to play things pretty safe, when I was first entering the world of style; now, I’m trying to add more drama to my wardrobe. When making decisions between items, it’s important to think about the look you’re going for and what you already have too much of in your closet.

And finally…
My Cardinal Rule of Shopping
I always do a “cost benefit analysis” on an item before I buy it – I check the price tag, and ask myself, “Do I $Price this item?” If I find a sweater that I love for $24.95, I try it on and ask myself if I want to work the two hours it would cost me; if the answer is yes, it comes home with me.

These are my basic guidelines for shopping… Now I’d love to hear about yours!

posted over 2 years ago
KatieLikeMe
Style_council
KatieLikeMe

I have a few rules, 1) Stock up on basics, but not overly so.
2) Can I make this cheaper?
3) If I have to buy other items to go with it, it’s not worth it.
4) If it can be warn more than one way, and is multiseasonal, it is a must.

posted over 2 years ago

hellomyfriendcharlie
New_user hellomyfriendcharlie is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When hellomyfriendcharlie reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
hellomyfrien...

1. I always look around to see if i can get a simmilar piece at a better price
2. invest in essentials and things that you will regularly wear like jeans
3. word of mouth is really great for getting an honnest opinion

posted over 2 years ago

cynchmolina
Style_council
cynchmolina

Totally agree. I would not:

1) buy an item that has a similar color to at least two items in my closet
2) buy something expensive that I feel like I won’t use, but want to buy anyway because it looks really pretty
3) buy something cheap but want to buy anyway because it looks really pretty

Whenever I pick up tons of items, I give myself time to try all of them so I can do elimination method. I wouldn’t want to end up with something that won’t look nice on me.

posted over 2 years ago

TinaStefanovic
Style_council
TinaStefanovic

I was taught not to buy the first thing I see (like) because there might be things I haven’t seen and I would possibly like them more. But if I really love something and I don’t buy it, it’ll be haunting me and I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Then I return to the shop and buy it :D

posted over 2 years ago

fashion_nerd
Style_council
fashion_nerd

You guys have some great tips! I think I am going to have to add some of your rules to mine :)

When I find things I love in the first store I go into, I usually ask the sales person to hold them for me for a couple hours. This gives me time to wander through other stores, find other things and better deals, and think about whether I really like the first items best. If I don’t find anything I like better, I go back and get whatever I still want from the first store. This way, I don’t risk losing them if they’re low in stock in my size, but I still have time to think it over. Most stores have a 24 hour hold policy, so they don’t mind holding things for an afternoon.

posted over 2 years ago

itshayliebrooke
Style_council
itshayliebrooke

ooh, very good tips! I am a bit more of a spontaneous shopper, but I do find one rule to always be key; make sure that whatever I am planning on buying FITS and FLATTERS. Nothing worse than adorable clothes that don’t fit right! very frustrating

posted about 2 years ago

evelynwinarto
Style_council
evelynwinarto

Thank you for the tips girls :)

posted about 2 years ago

wavytransition
Style_council
wavytransition

That’s a great idea. I never thought to place the item on hold and then look around the mall and come back if I can’t find anything better. I have to start doing that. So many times I’ve gone into the next store and found something better but been too lazy to go back and return the first item.

posted about 2 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION