Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
railophone
Style_council
railophone

I have fallen in love with this idea.
See, I’m 15. And I can’t really buy anything without permission. And we’re on a tight budget. I usually don’t buy things more than 10USD a piece.

I look everywhere for affordable tights and knee/thigh high socks, and yet they’re right under my nose, in my mother’s closet.

So anyway. She used to buy a lot of stuff in the 80’s and 90’s, so now I just scored myself argyle legwarmers, white thigh-highs, white knee-highs, yellow knee-highs, and crazy awesome silver shimmer leggings.
I may have thought of this before, but I never really dug deep enough.

If you’ve moved out, do you go to thrift stores to get some of your stuff?
I’ve never actually been to a thrift store, though. I’d like to when I have more time. (:

posted over 4 years ago
splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I don’t raid my parents closets, but my dad gave me a couple of his old shirts and I wear them sometimes. I borrow my mums jewellery on the odd occasion but I can’t borrow her clothes cause she’s 3 sizes bigger than me.

posted over 4 years ago

cuppateamachine
Style_council
cuppateamachine

Oh wow. You lucky duck! argyle leg warmers, knee highs and silver leggings! you scored awesome off your mom.

I got a bunch of clothes from my mom as well. She’s got all these awesome dresses, They are all vintage and it’s such a high (well for me anyway) to wear dresses that are older than I am. I now wear this dress that she used to wear when she was pregnant with me so that’s really cool haha.

I enjoy thrift shopping too, because I enjoy the treasure hunt. Also I’m not into the mass produced stuff and I don’t want to spend a lot of money on clothes. I’d rather spend my moolah on books, gigs and good food haha :)

posted over 4 years ago

luvi
Style_council
luvi

I have moved out, but everytime I come back home I pay a little visit to my mother’s closet :) esp because
1. thrifting is not common here in Italy – and I think it’s a shame!
2. we are pretty much the same size
3. it’s a gold mine! And a good chance to experiment with some DIY.

I always have a lot of fun: tons of 80s/90s items, many of them tailor-made (Zara, H&M and such didn’t exist! I almost can’t believe it :D), skirts that can be made into dresses or belted high, crop tops, maxi dresses that can be shortened, plaid shirts, blazers (not the padded shoulders ones, thanks), oversized sweaters…

Many of my most cherished items once belonged to my mother :)

posted over 4 years ago

railophone
Style_council
railophone

Yeah, I had no idea my mother was even into legwarmers and socks like that. Apparently, she was really into dance at the time, so they’re super warm, too.

I plan to go thrifting when I’ve got a break from school, but none yet. :c

@luvi: That’s so cool! Though it’s a shame there’s not much thrifting there. :c
And DIY lovers~

posted over 4 years ago

elizabethmd
Style_council
elizabethmd

I do, but I never really expect to find anything mind bogglingly great. Half because both my parents live in Blues/BDUs/flightsuits and half because my mother.. dresses like a mother. I’ve found some nice belts and things of that nature, but she raids my closet more than I, hers. I kind of think it’s because she’s been in uniform since she was in her twenties, she doesn’t have many occaisons to dress up for. For me, it sucks.

posted over 4 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I’ve found some great stuff in my mum’s closet. The best things i’ve found are vintage blouses, which i stole and wear pretty often :P
However most of my mum’s stuff doesn’t fit me (she’s a bigger size than me, and all her old stuff from when she was younger is too small for me! heh), and most of it i wouldn’t wear because it is very… mumsy…. lol!!
Unfortunately she doesn’t have many clothes left over from when she was a stylish teenager/young person because she left most of them in Malaysia when she moved to Australia!!

posted over 4 years ago

whydoumockme
Style_council
whydoumockme

My mom is a plus size lady and her clothes are 4 sizes too big…..but when I want a flowy shirt to actually look big on me i get it from her closet…..she has tons of really cool shirts with awesome details that I can wear and just belt it!

Plus I steal her jewlery all the time…..I’m a student and I don’t work, so I don’t have the cash to buy nice jewlery like she does…..

And we wear the same size shoes, so when I need a cute pair of sandals somehow hers always go missing…lol

posted over 4 years ago

argigle
Style_council
argigle

yeah, my mom has all these sweet DVF wrap dresses that she never wears and they are so cute! we are the same size so i always borrow her clothes, plus she has tons of designer jeans and shoes…its great….and the other weeked i found this fantastic white bow top.

posted over 4 years ago

eminemmx
Style_council
eminemmx

I can’t steal from my mother, because she’s about a foot shorter than me, and a size smaller, and four shoes sizes smaller. I don’t mind stealing from my dad though, but only when I went huge, oversized clothes, like old t-shirts, and he has some amazing blazers he said he’ll give to me when I leave for Uni. My favourite person to steal from is my grandmother though, she has loads of wonderful vintage items, such as bags and I got a beautiful handmade coat from her wardrobe last year, and we’re roughly the same sizee.

posted over 3 years ago

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

I’ve yoinked a couple things from my mom— all with permission of course. (Though a couple of things I asked to take and she wouldn’t let me!). And I’ve borrowed things she still wears for a single evening before, too.

The yellow blouse in my most recent blog post and a ruffly black dress that’s one of my most versatile favorites are my mom. And I once had a nice wool sweater-coat from my grandmother; I wore it so much the sleeves frayed )-:

posted over 3 years ago

mavielle
Style_council
mavielle

My mom is bigger than me, but that doesn’t stop me, I like to alter them here and there and sometimes just a wide belt around the waist will do.

Thrifting is awesome, I’ve collected a lot of stuff from there @ close to nothing prices. Just make sure you take your time 2 rumage through EVERYTHING because sometimes I’ve found some awesome things jam packed between other stuff and even in the mens, kids section. It’s a real treasure hunt, but well worth it.

posted over 3 years ago

maliamazing
Style_council
maliamazing

i love going through my moms closet and taking her blazers

posted over 3 years ago

Razzlebdazzle
Style_council
Razzlebdazzle

My mom has so many great t-shirts, skirts, and belts! And it’s all from the 80’s. Basically I’ve seen almost everything I’ve gotten from her recreated in stores now a days.

posted over 3 years ago

eeEmily
Style_council
eeEmily

I love going through my mom’s closet she has so many great pencil skirts and tights that I don’t have to go out and buy :)
but theres also my brothers closet which holds a few blazers for me to steal haha

posted over 3 years ago

boredstephanie
Style_council
boredstephanie

my mom never bought a lot of stuff but I did find some tights and a long cashmere cardigan thats super cute. Must post that on chictopia one of these days xP

posted over 3 years ago

P_DoT
Style_council
P_DoT

AUGH i wish that i could find some thigh highs in my mums closet.
I ususally steal my mums cardigans cuz her shirts are usually too short on me, i wish i could find as many good stuff as you guys

posted over 3 years ago

d0rki3
Style_council
d0rki3

lucky! my mom doesn’t have cool vintage clothes like that. But i do wear some of her clothes and she wears majority of mine. We’re the same size in clothes and shoes so i’m happy with 2 closets :P and yet i can never find anything to wear :\

posted over 3 years ago

AlexK
Style_council
AlexK

Actually I’ve found some pretty cute stuff from my mom’s closet. =]
Like I found this very pretty skirt that was too long so I pulled it up, belted it, and wore it as a dress. I got plenty of compliments. I also found a very big chambray button up skirt to belt and wear as a dress. I was fairly excited. And then there’s always the big chunk sweaters I steal once fall comes around.

posted over 3 years ago

Apple9
Style_council
Apple9

Possibly my favorite activity! My mom has a pretty bad sense of fashion now, but when she was my age and in college… Oh My God! I have seen pictures of her when she was younger and seen her wearing something adorable, like a pair of boots this one time, and instantly I ask her where it is, and she has no idea. So sad. But she does still have so cute things that she never wears, or when she does, she doesn’t wear them very well. So my sister and I take the liberty of wearing them the way they should be worn; fashionably.

posted over 3 years ago

KaylaMeow
Style_council
KaylaMeow

My mom is not that kind of fashion-y. She really doesn’t has anything so DUH!
I just raid my sister’s closet but there isn’t many things inside it also. Sickk of boring closets!

posted over 3 years ago

simseiv
Style_council
simseiv

love the idea!

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION