SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
ropunzel
Style_council
ropunzel

Hello! I’m going to Europe for the first time in mid-April for about 2.5 weeks. Everyone advises me to pack light, so I’m bringing one carry-on bag. My dilemma is, how do I pack light but yet still dress SOMEWHAT fashionably for the duration of my trip? What would you bring? And most importantly, what ONE (or two) pair(s) of shoes would you bring that would match everything? Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

posted over 4 years ago
MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

When I travel, I tend to end up wearing outfits that all follow the same formula and just rotate the individual pieces amongst other so my outfits don’t keep repeating. You don’t want to pack items that only go together with one other thing.

My staples are usually:
Plain-colored or simple-patterned t-shirts or camisoles.
Cardigans.
Dark-wash jeans that look a little dressier but are comfy and don’t show stains, AND/OR some basic skirts worn with leggings or thick tights. (April can still be quite chilly in parts of Europe).
A jacket/light coat for chillier days or rain.
A wrinkle-resistant dress (I have a couple jersey-knit kinds that are perfect) that can be worn for dressing up or while out during the day with a cardigan or whatever.
A couple scarves for interest/extra warmth, since they take such little room.

Avoid logos that would reveal you are foreign (like college name tshirts or brand names that don’t exist in Europe) or too many high-end logos that scream “I HAVE MONEY, PICKPOCKET ME!” Simple is chic— and also safely anonymous.

For shoes, I think some comfortable black flats would be your best bet. They go with everything and can be dressed up or down. Make sure they are broken in and comfortable for walking. Chances are you will do a lot of walking.

Remember, though, that if you only bring a carry-on you cannot pack full bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, or any other liquids and gels. You only get 10 containers of 3 oz each for liquids and I imagine that won’t last you 2.5 weeks, so you will either need to buy your toiletries there or check your bag. Airports are very strict about this.

Enjoy your trip! Where will you be visiting?

posted over 4 years ago

stylemylife
Style_council
stylemylife

I had the same problem… I brought about 4 cardigans and a bunch of plain, colored RL v-necks. For bottoms, I brought some cute cotton skirts, a pair of jeans, and a pair of toothpick cords. I also brought two cotton day dresses. Shoes was a big problem but I ended up bringing two pairs of sperry topsiders. Everything I brought, I could roll up and smush in my bag and they wouldn’t get wrinkled. Also, don’t forget about the stuff you buy.
Hope this helps!

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION