Forum
SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
jenniferelaine
New_user jenniferelaine is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jenniferelaine reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jenniferelaine

How do you get your J. Crew look for less than J. Crew prices?

My style is decidely vintage classic prep. I shop a lot at BR, some at Macy’s (hello Calvin Klein and RL), and I’ve been bitten by the J. Crew bug. Quality over quantity. No Forever 21 or cheap stuff found in my closet.

Problem is that I can’t afford to shop just at J Crew, even if my tiny closet wishes I would! So how do you do it for less, while still getting quality clothes?

posted almost 2 years ago
catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

I would be careful about J. Crew. Just because they’re more expensive than Forever21 doesn’t mean it’s better quality. It’s still considered mid-level and still made in 3rd world countries (which might mean sweatshop construction) Their materials are usually a little nicer, though! I would wait for sales, obvi, when they sometimes have things for up to an additional 40% off. I would also keep your eyes open at thrift stores. I found a J. Crew cashmere turtleneck once for $17!!

jenniferelaine
New_user jenniferelaine is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When jenniferelaine reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
jenniferelaine

I’m fiber artist. I make my own yarn, knit, weave, etc. My mom and sister sew. I’m also a vintage clothing collector and thrifter. I can tell good fabric quality and construction from crap. The incidence of crap is much higher at places like F21 than it is at J Crew. Sadly, BR is getting worse; too many synthetic materials are making it into the garments.

As far as the sales go, I’ve figured out at what time J. Crew updates their sale section, but my lips are sealed on that one!

catiebeatty
Forum_moderator
catiebeatty

Well, if you already have the top secret info on their sales and know all about thrifting, i don’t know what else to tell you

REPLY TO DISCUSSION