SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
octopusXoctopus
Style_council
octopusXoctopus

Whenever I go shopping I always end up getting items that look similar to things I already have or I get things I think are super cute but when I get home I realize nothing in my closet goes well with the new item I bought. I’ve read tips and tricks about making a list of things you need and going out to buy only the things on your list so you don’t have any “impulse buys.” Do any of you have any tips on what kind of things should be on this list (not saying you should know what’s in my closet. just saying universal basic items that should be on everyone’s list like a simple black blazer or a white tee) ?

posted over 4 years ago
FindersKeepers
Style_council
FindersKeepers

Well, honestly, whenever I go shopping, I always think about what I already have in my closet or have something specific in mind. If I don’t, I will end up with stuff that will just sit in my closet and take up space. Having all of the basics is essential, of course (black pencil skirt, tights in a few bright colors, few bold colors, neutral dress, blazer as you said..etc) then you can buy some statement jewelry or some bold tops, skirts, shoes, etc. and mix and match! Hope this helps <3

posted over 4 years ago

Mollfie
Style_council
Mollfie

I usually will want something to go with something I already own. So I wear the outfit and then as I’m shopping try to find shoes/bag/whatever that will go best.

posted over 4 years ago

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I never make a list or anything but I always only shop at stores with good refund policies so that I can try new stuff on with my current wardrobe and take stuff back if it doesn’t go with enough of my clothes. I find it better than going out with specific items in mind cause usually when you are looking for something specific you tend to not be able to find what you’re looking for.

posted over 4 years ago

anli
Style_council
anli

Before I go shopping, I make a list of things I want to buy (example: last time I went shopping I wanted a bandage dress, a cloche hat, and a sequin skirt), and I wear an outfit that is pretty representative of the basics in my wardrobe so I’ll be able to see if what I’m buying will fit in with the clothes I already own.

posted over 4 years ago

kelllosaurus
Style_council
kelllosaurus

Agreed with anli, making a list, even a mental one, is essential. It will keep you from buying a lot of similar things.

posted over 4 years ago

Catherinee
Style_council
Catherinee

I make lists but bud off from that… I rarely follow even my own “rules”.

posted over 4 years ago

chicchica_bonita
New_user chicchica_bonita is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When chicchica_bonita reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
chicchica_bo...

i try to go through my entire closet before i go on any planned big shopping trip, so that EVERYTHING i have is fresh in my mind, and i can tell what i want and need, make a list, budget myself, then decide how much i have for “impulse buying.” i try to wear an outfit made up of items that go with almost everything in my closet, for example, although i have a few mix and match items that go with brown, my dominant thing is black and white, and things that go with black and white. So i wear a basic outfit with black skinny jeans, a white tee, and a black blazer. When i go shopping, i always stay right on track, and i can tell when i try stuff on whether it will fit in my closet or not. i hope you understand where i’m going…also, to avoid impulse buying clothes, when you try on a top or skirt for instance, don’t leave it on too long. if it’s uncomfortable or doesn’t look as good on you as it could, it doesn’t matter how cute the item is or how great it would go with everything you own, don’t spend ten minutes in the mirror staring at yourself, trying to make it better. Toss it, because chances are, if you compromise, and just buy it anyways because you think you just love it that much, you won’t wear it and it will sit and sit and sit and you’ll regret. I avoid TONS of unnecessary purchases this way after someone gave me that advice, and it’s the best shopping advice i’ve ever recieved…

posted over 4 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION