SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
headbandit
Style_council
headbandit

What are your tips for starting on a “no-buy” or stopping yourself from buying every lovely thing you set eyes on? Help!

posted over 3 years ago
SouffleGirl
Style_council
SouffleGirl

I think about how many times I’m actually going to use it and if I can use it in the upcoming season or not, if it’s practical or comfortable. Could I find it some where else for cheaper? Could I wear this with something else to make a new outfit or is it just that one thing that doesn’t match with everything else I have. Is the fabric good quality, would it last or will it end up with a hole after 2 washes…Lots of things to consider. Having an honest friend with you also helps, you just need to make sure you trust them and they’ll tell you if it’s overpriced or doesn’t match your style or go good with your look.

posted over 3 years ago

illq
Style_council
illq

Well always helps to just don’t bring any cash credit cards or any type of money on you so that way you won’t be tempted to buy. But I know that it can be really hard so if you can’t resist going shopping try vintage shopping around your area. It’s cheaper than most dept stores if you know where to look an you’ll find some really cool pieces. One time I found a Calvin Klein pair of UNWORN boots for $15!

posted over 3 years ago

nathnana
Style_council
nathnana

You should think if match with more then 3 pieces u already have and if u can use this often :). Also you should think what would you buy for the same price another thing u want as badly but isn’t cloth, shoe or accessory. And then if u really need it :)

posted over 3 years ago

EwachicJewelry
New_user EwachicJewelry is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When EwachicJewelry reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
EwachicJewelry

The best advise I would say is to manage your money and keep track of what’s in your bank account. If you know what funds you have available, that will most likely help in your decision making. It certainly works for me.

posted over 3 years ago

thesimpletheory
Style_council
thesimpletheory

i keep the receipts of my purchases of the month in a little box or something where i can see them so that i am conscious that i’ve made some purchases already for that month.

posted over 3 years ago

plasticflowergarden
Style_council
plasticflowe...

Just ask yourself,
Do I already have something similar to this?
How versatile is it?
Is the price reasonable and in my range?
Will I really wear it?
Is it flattering on my body?
Do I feel comfortable or awkward in it?
After answering these honestly, go by the “love it or leave it” rule.
If I’m not sure on an item, I’ll put it on hold, then come back to it.
Wait for the item to go on sale, or find one (or a similar one) online.
I used to be a MAJOR shopaholic, basically shopping every weekend buying things I never wore, things I didn’t even like that much. Now I’m much pickier and HAPPIER with my wardrobe because I honestly love every piece in it to death. I feel so much more free now! Haha

posted over 3 years ago

xokeishaxo
Style_council
xokeishaxo

I try to look at it as less of a control thing…because the less “controlled” I feel the less likely I am to succumb or go nuts when I lift the control. I look at it more as “I’m allowed to, but this is what I allow myself to do” I’ve used a few methods, depending on my mood and the reason I’m trying not to shop as much (keep in mind I’m weird and complicated):

Budget method- I give myself a budget, say $25 a week. Money rolls over so I can make the choice to buy like a little Forever 21 dress or hold the money over until I have $100 for a pair of Aldo shoes. Whatever I feel like but it keeps me from spending more than I want.

Wishlist method (I’m doing this now)- I give myself a list of things I want and I’m not allowed to buy things not on the list or not similar to items on the list. I let myself add one new item a week. I set a time period like three months.

Goodwill method- I gave myself a dollar to spend on new items for each item that I donated.

Grade rewards- I would give each letter grade a value throughout the quarter (like an A on an assignment was two items, a B was worth one) and then a bigger reward for final grade.

posted over 3 years ago

YOUTHAGAINSTFASHlON
Style_council
YOUTHAGAINST...

Honestly…I don’t know lol
I’ve noticed that sometimes I buy things mostly to cheer me up…otherwhise I buy when there’s really something that I like. I’m subscribed to some newsletters, like H&M, Zara and such…so every time there’s something new in shops I take a look and I buy…
BUT recently I’ve been telling myself I need to stop from buying for a little…I own lots of t-shirts that I’m starting thinking that I won’t have the time and moments to wear each of them this summer lol Beside this, I’m planning some projects, and I’m gonna need some money for that…so that’s maybe a good reason. I mean, for me it’s that now. I have some plans so I won’t waste my money because I need to realize my plans :) (OMG sales are coming lol)

posted over 3 years ago

charlotte_adele
Style_council
charlotte_adele

Normally I give in to buying things that I really don’t need, but since I just graduated and haven’t got a job yet, I have no income and don’t want to be wasting my savings. I’ve found that what has helped me the most is just walking away from everything, when I’m out shopping, even if I really want it, because unless it is in a vintage or charity shop, it isn’t a one of a kind, so if I still want it I can just come back and get it another day. It has taken me soooo much willpower to be able to do it, but I have managed to save much more money (and unwanted purchases) this way.

posted over 3 years ago

kittenhood
Style_council
kittenhood

truth is that spending so much time online looking at pretty things doesn’t really help :)
sometimes it helps if I try on lots of things and decide that I can only get one out of the bunch.

posted over 3 years ago

_ReD_LiPsTiCk_
Style_council
_ReD_LiPsTiCk_

I dont have a solution to this topic but this is a great topic. I am currently suffering from this because I am in the process of trying to buy a house. So I wanted to thank you for creating this topic.

posted over 3 years ago

coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

Some of the tips here are very helpful! Seeing as I really need to cut down on my spending.. :(
A way for myself is that I just stop myself from visiting a shopping centre, or searching for things online because as soon as I see something nice, I will be tempted to start spending!
I also try and leave my bank card at home so I won’t use it to buy things. Instead I take a limited amount of cash with me when I do go shopping so can’t spend more than what I have, that way you can also see the money leaving your hands and makes you more conscious of spending.
If you go shopping with friends, make sure they’re honest and critical and not a shopaholic like yourself! My best friend will say “you don’t need that, you already have something similar” if I’m deliberating on something, whereas some of my other friends might be like “it’s cute!! definitely buy it!!” haha.

posted over 3 years ago

headbandit
Style_council
headbandit

Thanks to everyone for your input! I’ve posted an article on EIU about How to control your shopping appetite, if you’d like to check it out!

posted over 3 years ago

SeeByChloe3
Style_council
SeeByChloe3

i think about all the money i’m going to spend and all the things i won’t be able to buy since i won’t have any money left. you just have to make compromises and realize that you can’t buy everything

posted over 3 years ago

melavond
Style_council
melavond

haha. I dont know if this is control but I put it off for later, I think about the those things when I leave the store without buying them till I actually buy them.

posted over 3 years ago
REPLY TO DISCUSSION