SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
JUKILOVE
Style_council
JUKILOVE

Do you believe in a greater price for a piece because you know it’s a classic & it’ll last forever?

I find a lot of people think it’s a myth that paying higher prices means higher quality. Since I’ve been making my own clothes for years, I can judge quality in retail clothes. In my opinion you get what you pay for (when still shopping wisely of course); I believe in paying more even if it means having less.

What’s your take on having a bountiful, trendy wardrobe that will last a couple seasons versus a small collection of classic pieces that will be worn for years ? Quantity or quality?

posted almost 4 years ago
whimsicalwallflower
Style_council
whimsicalwal...

To be honest, usually if it’s being sold at a lower price, it is pretty cheap; quality wise.

However, higher prices don’t necessarily mean better quality.

My friend pretty much only shops at urban outfitters and says that some of their stuff isn’t really of great quality.

But, there’s also thrifting. Which a lot of chictopians do, and that isn’t usually very pricey.

MurasakiNeko
Style_council
MurasakiNeko

Generally I agree that you get what you pay for, but often it’s not so simple as that. Sadly, there is a lot of high-priced stuff that isn’t very good quality; usually in those cases you’re just “paying for the brand” and you’d be better off just buying the cheaper non-label version for how long it would last you. You don’t see this problem much with really high-end designers, but sometimes mid-range brands can be misleadingly expensive.

And if you’re selective and know how to judge for quality, you can still find long-lasting quality pieces at cheaper prices. Vintage and thrift stores are a great example (if something’s lasted 30+ years already, you know it’s pretty good quality!), but, shoot, I have a couple garments from places like Target and Kmart that I’m still wearing more than five years after I bought them. But it does take some work (and luck!) to find them; you can’t count on any old thing from F21 to last a decade.

As far as my wardrobe goes, I straddle the line between quality and quantity. When I buy classic pieces like an LBD or separates for my work wardrobe, I go to reputable stores and pay a more for something timeless that fits well and will last. However, when I’m getting a trendy piece just for wearing now and passing on in a year or less, I’m not going to spend much money on it. Therefore my wardrobe has a lot of disposable garments that are almost completely replaced every few years plus a small section of classic clothes that hasn’t changed much at all. I think it’s a good balance; I always have my nice timeless staples, but I’m not stuck wearing only those same staple garments alone season after season, either.

pandaphilia
Style_council
pandaphilia

i generally agree but i check item against item and each specific piece for quality. i’m not really brand loyal and i don’t think i ever will be. some cheap department store clothes i got on sale in junior high still fight me and i’m halfway through college. not a tear or loose string anywhere :)

splashofcolour
Style_council
splashofcolour

I think higher price sometimes means better materials (e.g silk from a more expensive brand compared to polyester or viscose from a cheap brand) but unless we’re comparing big designer names to the high street then I don’t think actual quality often comes into it. A lot of mid-price brands make their clothes the same way and as cheaply as cheap brands/stores do.

For example, I’ll compare New Look and Topshop. They’re both stores I regularly buy from, and though Topshop often charge like £15+ more for something than New Look do, apart from getting a slightly softer fabric there is little difference at all. There’s rarely any difference in the craftsmanship at all.

I think the only times you can tell a noticeable difference between a cheap and more expensive brand is when it comes to denim and knitwear.

FrivolousDistinction
Style_council
FrivolousDis...

As a general principle I agree that you get what you pay for, but I think Jukilove said the caveat already: you still need to shop wisely to avoid the exceptions and find good pieces. Handing over more money doesn’t guarantee quality. There are so many factors that affect pricing – prestige, advertising, core market, etc. The quality of a garment isn’t necessarily reflected in the price (as a few people have said, Urban Outfitters is a good example, in my opinion).

A lot of mass market brands, whether they’re low or mid-end, have their clothes made in the same factories by the same workers operating in the same conditions, under the same time constraints, etc. Unless some brands have invest more in better materials, you won’t be able to tell much difference in quality, because the craftsmanship will be the same. Many mid-end brands will use higher quality fabrics and trimmings, more details etc, but still need to produce a large number of garments in a short space of time as cheaply as possible. Quickly made doesn’t always mean badly made, but sometimes it does (especially trend-led items, which are designed for a quick turnaround, not a long life).

Personally, I’d prefer a small wardrobe of well-made, durable, classic clothing than a vast selection of badly-made stuff that is visibly cheap and won’t last. I buy everything with this in mind, even in cheaper shops, and avoid fast fashion. I’m on a small budget so many of my “investment” items are vintage and didn’t actually cost me a lot, but will probably last long after I’m too old and fat to wear them. So if you can’t afford to spend much, being discerning can still buy you quality.

xoxopaige
Style_council
xoxopaige

higher price DOES NOT equate to higher quality. my frankie b jeans lasted about a year before the stitching started to fall apart, and the color faded too fast from normal wear. on the other hand, i have had a pair of F21 jeans for almost 3 years and they are in tip-top shape.

KaylaMeow
Style_council
KaylaMeow

i believe cheap price=cheapquality but higher price dont mean better quality

HandbagsandGladrags
Style_council
HandbagsandG...

I think it really depends on the brand to be honest. Some of my primark clothes have lasted years whereas an expensive boutique dress fell apart after one wear. I used to try and buy as many items as possible but this year i’ve really tried to view my wardrobe as an investment and bought more expensive pieces that can be worn in many different ways and I’ve found i have so much more to wear now!

Gladrags

woocie
Style_council
woocie

it depends. it applies to many stores, yet not to many others. stores like anthropologie have well made clothes, but they’re just priced higher because it’s more unique. places like urban outfitters where things are pretty expensive, but not terribly, doesn’t have that great quality either.

but you could find the same quality item from a department store as you could from a designer store.

i really think it depends on how well known the label is, how good their clothes are (style wise) and what kind of customers they get based on age.

quarantinethepast
Style_council
quarantineth...

Generally, yeah. I’ve seen some exceptions, I mean a lot of the stuff I get from cheaper stores (which is the vast majority of stuff I buy, since I’m a broke teen :P) tends to wear out quicker, but I have to say, some stuff from F21 and stores like that, have lasted me foreverrrr, though it is kind of a hit-or-miss.
I do get some things from designers if I go to their outlets (I have this huge outlet mall near me and it’s pretty great haha) and it is usually very good quality, and lasts a long time.

ljurbanchic
Style_council
ljurbanchic

I believe it depends on the store that you shop in. If you go to a store that generally sells clothes at high prices than those clothes probably are of good quality and will last long, but if you get something from the store thats on sale and now cheaper, that doesn’t make the item of worse quality does it? thats why i shop from both cheap and expensive stores, and always check the sale section. Actually the sale section is where you’ll find me pretty much exclusively the whole time im in an expensive store. but i also shop in some stores that are pretty cheap, but i’ll admit i wouldn’t buy for example; a coat to last me all winter (and maybe the next few) from there. I believe you don’t exactly get what you pay for; you get what your willing to spend.

REPLY TO DISCUSSION