SEARCH FORUM:

Forum > Shopping

Facebook
Twitter
Googleplus
40sClassic
Style_council
40sClassic

I quarantine mines, but I consider myself a clean freak, borderline ocd. Not only do I keep them sealed tight in a large plastic bag for two weeks, I then wash them in vinegar(smell). Dry them for an hour at the hottest temp then take them to the dry cleaners, I know that is a bit much but like I said OCD.
What are your thoughts on cleaning thrifted finds?

posted over 3 years ago
1 2
coldlight
Style_council
coldlight

I usually do, especially if the clothes are old/vintage and they are more likely to have that “op shop” smell :P However sometimes I don’t wash them, like if I want to wear the clothes straight away or if the clothes still have tags on them or if they look/smell clean and new. I usually only need to wash them once and they’re fine.

posted over 3 years ago

reklawysdnil
Style_council
reklawysdnil

Your method sounds like the only way to be sure. I don’t really worry about it too much but I do put thrifted clothes in the laundry before I wear them.

posted over 3 years ago

PrincessTaniaxD
Style_council
PrincessTaniaxD

definitely! i always wash things from the thrift store..
you never know if the people who wore those things before washed it

posted over 3 years ago

kittenhood
Style_council
kittenhood

I usually wash them, but it depends on where I got them, as I really trust some shops! I clean them like I do will all clothes, they don’t get special treatment.

As for purses, I use hand-cream to freshen up leather ones. I wish there were a good system for shoes!

posted over 3 years ago

carizzachua
Style_council
carizzachua

i sometimes boil them in hot water before washing, especially if the fabric is thick

posted over 3 years ago

AnindhitaRustiyan
Style_council
AnindhitaRus...

I thrifted from my aunt closet, she always washed her clothes at laundry and keep them in their plastic if she don’t want to wear, so when I get her clothes, it’s still like fresh from the laundry ;p

posted over 3 years ago

teribi
Style_council
teribi

i think there’s no problem with that… of course you’ll never know if it’s already cleaned properly or not… and as long as it doesn’t fade out or shrink your clothes, like i said it’s not a problem… for hygienic purposes..

posted over 3 years ago

MymyMode
Style_council
MymyMode

of course its better to wash them..u never know..

posted over 3 years ago

EvaLavender
Style_council
EvaLavender

Not usually… lol. I probably should, but I usually just assume the people who donated them/sold them to the thrift store washed them. If they smell weird though, I always wash.

posted over 3 years ago

PaigeBaker
Style_council
PaigeBaker

Nope I work at a resale store too :) eww Now tht i THINK ABOUT IT… I should really wash it before I wear it :) …

posted over 3 years ago

TeaGran
Style_council
TeaGran

depends on what it is, what thrift store they were purchased at and how smelly it is. I don’t tend to be overly ocd about my washing of them though.

posted over 3 years ago

consignwithko
New_user consignwithko is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When consignwithko reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
consignwithko

I think washing them is very important. but sealing them in an air tight bag is probably not necessary. Vineger is a good way to wash the clothing.

posted over 3 years ago

Jessymen
Style_council
Jessymen

I like to wash them a couple of times before wearing, but I don’t keep them in a baggie or anything.

posted over 3 years ago

thriftophile
New_user thriftophile is new to Chictopia!

Make Her Feel Welcome with Chic Points
10 points - Become a fan
5 points - Vote her photos into the Style Gallery
1 point - Post a comment on her photos

When thriftophile reaches 200 Chic Points, she will be in the Style Council!
thriftophile

Buying clothes from the thrift store is no different than any retail store. Someone has tried it on before you. If it looks like it needs to be washed before I wear it, then I wash it. :-)

posted over 3 years ago
1 2
REPLY TO DISCUSSION